Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new iPad 3 is turning off, even while charging... Normal?

I just got my new iPad 3 the other day, and noticing that even while charging it will turn off. At the top right, it will show 1%-2% remaining, but it still shows that its charging. Yet, it will turn off. Is this normal? I dont remember my iPad 2 ever turning off, while connected to a power source. Just reading a book in iBooks, while power connected, then OFF... Any help?

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 10:33 PM

15 replies

Mar 17, 2012 10:49 PM in response to BeersYourFriend

First try to Reset your device:

Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears (ignore the Slide to Power Off option that shows up first).

If that doesn't help, you'll need to Restore your device.

Restore instruction:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Recovery mode restore if needed:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

Mar 18, 2012 2:16 AM in response to BeersYourFriend

The fact that your battery level is below 10% may have something to do with it. I did read on another forum that some folks were reporting that they were having issues charging while using. The speculation was hat the new processor and especially the display ere actually using more juice than the charger was putting out.

I have no idea if it's true but I suspect something like that is happening. Try charging yours above 10% and do the same thing again. If it turns completely off again, I would take it in.

Mar 18, 2012 2:40 AM in response to steeleblue

Yeah, it's happens every time. Even when charged around 10%, it still will drain till it just shuts off. All while being plugged in, and charging. This really *****, and unfortunately am going to have to take it in. Unless others are having the same issue, and this being normal. I don't know why apple would put out a product that you couldn't even use, while plugged in and charging... Oh well... Any other thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 18, 2012 5:17 AM in response to BeersYourFriend

I suspect you 'haven't gotten a clear answer' because few people use their device with that low of charge. There is a reason why you get a low battery warning at 10%. Your device is shutting down so you don't lose your data. All devices do this.

The issue you need to address is 'when charging, does my device use more power than the charger delivers' and as was mentioned above it apparently does.

I assume you are plugged into the wall with the included charger. Since you don't like the answers we have put forth I suggest you call Apple and see what they say. Perhaps they can tell you the threshold needed to continue to use your device. But if it is using more power while in use than the charger delivers you are probably SOL until/unless Apple can rectify the problem. There is the possibilty that they can't due to the way batteries take a charge.

My new iPad 3 is turning off, even while charging... Normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.