Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting PC formatted external hard drive

My old laptop, a largish screen iBook G4 now belonging to my sister, is having hard drive problems. When it is booted up, it flashes a file folder with a question mark and the split face mac logo. Does this mean that the hard drive is dying?

I just bought an external hard drive to back things up. It is PC formatted and I was having difficulties in disk utilities in reformmatting it (journalled) for mac. It kept dumping out of the formatting utility. Finally I turned on Time Machine and initiated a backup. I am wondering if the backup is valid, since it is unclear to me if the external drive actually reformatted for mac. When I left my sister's it was more than 1/2 backed up according to Time Machine.

I am grateful for your help.

Cheers,

John

ibook G4, Mac OS X (10.5), 133 ghz

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 11:35 PM

4 replies

Mar 17, 2012 11:55 PM in response to billy58

The flashing question mark means the computer cannot find a valid boot system and I take it it is not booting fully. How are you able to enable Time Machine or try formatting the drive if the computer is not working? Or is it just flashing the question mark for a few seconds, then proceeding to boot?

Something is not going right if Disk Utility (was this the formatting utility?) keeps crashing. Theoretically Time Machine should refuse to use the drive at all if it isn't formatted.

Mar 18, 2012 12:09 AM in response to Limnos

I kept shutting the computer off and turning it on til I got past the boot problem. I had the thing up and running. I tried several times to format the external hard drive and seemed to get time machine to recognize it, tho I am not sure that I actually formatted it. I did get time machine to write a backup. Will try tomorrow to open the hard drive. Perhaps I should do that on a separate computer. My MacBook Pro?

Formatting PC formatted external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.