4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2012 10:21 AM by Courcoul
Pranav429 Level 1 Level 1

I want to install dedicated video memory. I have macbook pro 13 inch late 2011 model with intel hd 3000 graphics. If not possible can i install additional ram and dedicate it to video graphics.

I want to play games like GTA 4 and other semi high end games that require dedicated memory cards.

Please tell me a fix.

pranav429@gmail.com

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
Solved by Courcoul on Mar 18, 2012 3:00 AM Solved

13" MBPs come with Shared Video Memory. Hardwired. Maxing out the main RAM will improve performance somewhat, but it will still be shared between the CPU and the GPUs. That's just the way they're built.

Sell the 13"er and buy yourself a 15" or bigger.

• dominic23 Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Sorry No.

• Courcoul Level 6 Level 6

13" MBPs come with Shared Video Memory. Hardwired. Maxing out the main RAM will improve performance somewhat, but it will still be shared between the CPU and the GPUs. That's just the way they're built.

Sell the 13"er and buy yourself a 15" or bigger.

• Pranav429 Level 1 Level 1

I just bought this perhaps wont sell it ever, Saved a whole lot money for a year for a macbook. I wanted to use final cut and stuff,
    I read that if you upgrade the ram to 8 gb you may get something like  512 mb of video dedicated memory, currently it is 384.

Guess, I made a somewhat okay choice.

and glad that i did not go for sony or other brand, coz mac may be a lil expensive, but it is an experience in its own.

like th feel of operating system , and everything is so coll, the multitouch pad, is so convenient.

• Courcoul Level 6 Level 6

I know for a fact that the 15" Late 2011 model can take and use the new 8GB RAM sticks, giving it a total of 16GB. I'm pretty sure that the 13" model can take them too. Check in the Crucial or Corsair site for their RAM configurator to confirm.