Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Airport Extreme to 802.1X protected network

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if it is somehow possible to connect the Airport Extreme Base Station to a 802.1X protected university network. I have several devices which do not support VPN connections so i want to let the AE do the authentication process in order to connect to the Internet. I know that the AE itself can create such a network, but i'm not sure if, and if yes how, the AE can connect to a 802.1X network.

If this is not possible, does someone know if i could connect the AE via VPN to that network?

Best regards,
Marc

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 6:31 AM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2012 7:09 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry for the missunderstanding.

I have connected to the network via the WAN Port of the Base Station, but i need to authenticate every client for itself. I just wanted the router to take over the authentication so the clients can connect via the AE directly to the internet.

University Network -> network cable connected to WAN port of AE -> AE (should do the 802.1X authentification) -> clients via ethernet and wireless LAN

Apr 2, 2012 11:12 AM in response to Skyrunner92

Hi, did you solve the problem?

I'm having the same problem here, Etehernt (802.1x) > Sharing Internet > WiFi network.
I could'n make it work on Lion, tried everything and I still don't understand where the problem is. The computer connected to the WiFi network still doesn't have internet access.

We have SecureW2 authentification.

Why my roommate with a PC can share internet via Connectify and I can't do it with on a mac?!

I'm thinking of getting a WRT54GL and installing OpenWRT on it, or getting an Airport Extreme, of course, if it'll solve the problem...

Connect Airport Extreme to 802.1X protected network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.