Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are some of my icons on Launchpad blurry/pixelated?

I just noticed this a couple of days back and have tried everything I could think of from updated to resizing the screen. Can anyone tell my why some random icons on my Launchpad are blurry/pixelated or has anyone had this problem before and know how to fix it?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 8:56 AM

16 replies

Mar 18, 2012 11:24 AM in response to Some1else2

They were all hi-res until, literally, 2 days ago. I'm on the highest screen resolution for my Pro (1680x1050) and have always had it at that resolution. Already tried several other but no luck. I'm also running Lion and have updated it to 10.7.3 hoping that would solve it but nothing.

I'll try your resetting suggestions, pennbank, and hopefully things will go back to normal. Thanks for the input!

Jul 31, 2012 12:34 PM in response to Andrew Jung

User uploaded file

I've fixed the problem!

Drag the problem applications out of the Applications folder and into the Trash. (If you downloaded them from the Mac App Store you may have to authorize to do this.) Then drag them back to the Applications folder again.

Lauch Launchpad again. The icons might take moment to show up, but when they do, they should be the proper resolution icon.

If this doesn't help, I did also reboot before trying this action. So maybe you have to reboot first and do the above.

Cheers and let me know if this works for you.

P.S. the Apple Tech thought I was talking about pixelated icons in the dock and suggested removing and then adding them back to the Dock, but this was for Launchpad. So I tried doing the same by removing and adding it back to the Applications folder via the Trash. Seems to have worked and got to teach the Apple Rep a trick too. 🙂

Mar 8, 2013 9:25 AM in response to Some1else2

None of these solutions are working for me. The only problem seems to be with applications that I download from the Mac App Store. They all use low res icons (not the same low res though) in launchpad and in the dock, or the icon doesn't display at all in launchpad or in the dock. However when I view the applications in something like Alfred or in Finder, the correct resolution icon displays. I tried clearing the launchpad cache, changing my screen resolution, moving the apps to the trash and back, and redownloading them from the MAS. No luck. I have a Retina MacBook Pro.

Why are some of my icons on Launchpad blurry/pixelated?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.