Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone update with unlocking

I have an iPhone 16GB 3Gs that I bought off a USA-eBayer a while ago (though I live in the UK). I'm with Virgin Mobile that 'does not' support the iphone, though when I rung up before the purchase of the phone, the team said though they don't stricktly support the Apple device, but iPhones generally work on their network.

I bought in confidence and my iphone worked floorlessly for about 12 months on the iOS 4.1 system, becuase I didnt want the hastle of unlocking my phone back for the Virgin Mobile website each time I updated through iTunes, i didn't bother. Evenetually I updated to iOS 5.0 (off the internet rather than iTunes) and since then my phone has really struggled to keep a strong signal, or indeed WiFi connection. It can have full signal but then it says 'Searching...' for a couple of seconds then will find all the signal again. This as you can imagine gets pretty infuriating when its happening 4 times a minute, and only when I want to actually use the phone.

Also the phone likes to turn off at any point, even if it says it has about 70% battery and was on charge all night, then it demands to be on charge before it turns back on again, sometimes stating that it has the '70% charge' it told you before, or a dramatically reduced charge depending on its mood.

If I wasnt worried about it getting locked to the original carrier, I'd just plug it up to my iTunes and update it, but as it stands, I cant do that!

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

The Firmware is 06:15:00

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1, 16gb white

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 10:21 AM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2012 10:49 AM in response to Abblang

Because it was software unlocked using unauthorized software. When you updated the phone's software it locked back to the original carrier. If it is a GSM phone coming from the US, then it is AT&T. Only the original carrier can authorize the unlock and AT&T does not unlock iPhones FOR ANY REASON, PERIOD! You have no real recourse here except to sell the phone and purchase a factory unlocked phone from either Apple or one of the providers in the UK. They will also unlock phones purchased from them after a period, some for a fee. However, before you ask, they cannot unlock the phone you have.

Mar 20, 2012 5:26 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I understand the situation with it at the moment, and it would explain for the sudden turning off occasionally. But how can I find out the original carrier of the phone (if I cant get in contact with the seller)? The fact is it worked perfectly, unlocked, in this country for over 12 months. So if it was unlocked with unauthorised software, why didnt it have problems then too? Is there a way of resorting back to an older iOS?

Mar 20, 2012 5:34 AM in response to Abblang

1. There is no way to find out which carrier it is locked to from the phone itself - one of the pitfalls of buying off places like eBay from unauthorized resellers.

2. It worked fine because it was hacked. However, a software/firmware hacked phone will revert back to the native iOS software (and the original carrier lock) whenever you update the iOS via iTunes.

3. You cannot downgrade to a previous iOS versions as Apple simple does not offer any mechanism to do that.

As mentioned, IF you know the phone was originally purchased and used in the USA, then it is carrier locked to AT&T (as they are the sole official GSM service provider in the USA). Also as mentioned, AT&T does not, nor ever has, unlocked their locked iPhones.

Note that offical unlocked iPhones as sold by Apple or the carriers that do sell them are very pricey devices. I will give you 20 to 1 odds that anyone selling an iPhone as "unlocked" on eBay, Craig's list or the like is almost certainly selling a hacked phone, NOT an officially unlocked one (and only offically unlocked ones will not do as you experienced - relock with every iOS update).

Mar 20, 2012 5:36 AM in response to Michael Black

Thanks

When I scroll in my iPhone; Settings - general - About. It says at the top my network is 'Virgin Mobile' which is correct, but then when i scroll further down, it says the 'Carrier' is T-mobile UK 11.0. Whats this in relation to my iPhone?

I think its worth pointing out my iphone, though still turning off and struggling with signal occasionally does still send and recieve phone calls and text messages through the Virgin mobile network.

Mar 20, 2012 5:44 AM in response to Abblang

I think this is all related to whatever hack was applied (there was never any such thing as an unlocked iPhone 3Gs sold in the USA btw) and what got fubar'd when you updated the iOS in iTunes. One of the risks of hacking an iPhone is that you can end up with a situation like yours, where the device is not completely bricked, but is very flaky, unreliable and exhibits bizarre and apparently random errors and problems.

Honestly, from where I sit, the only really satisfying solution I can offer you is to get yourself either a true offically unlocked iPhone 4 or 4s, and/or switch to a carrier which does indeed officially support the iPhone on its network (at least then you should be able to get some technical support from people with a carrier that actually supports and hence knows at least a little something about the device).

iPhone update with unlocking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.