Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mute speakers on calls and most apps - Music plays on speakers

Hi!

My iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1) doesn't make a sound on it's speakers when receiving a call or using apps

However music plays on speakers as well as some apps like "Magic Piano". Youtube uses speakers correctly, too.

Vibration works when getting a call, but no sound. Turning vibration off doesn't make a difference.

Testing the ringtone works fine, too, but I don't hear it during a call.

When using headphones all apps produce the sound they should and incoming calls play the ringtone, too.

Changing volume level doesn't make a difference.

During a call I can turn on loudspeakers without a problem. Mute works as expected, too.

But no matter what I do, all incoming calls stay silent and most apps and system sounds like keyboard clicks are muted.

I missed numerous calls because of that, so how can i turn the sound back on?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 11:12 AM

On the side of the phone by the volume controls is a small switch, the Mute switch. In the up position, the phone will ring. In the down position (mute) orange showing, the phone is mute. It will not ring, but music will play from the iPod. Sounds like what you have going on here.

5 replies

Mute speakers on calls and most apps - Music plays on speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.