Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos just imported are modified (Reveal in Finder) (9.2.2)

Hi, i'm a french iPhoto user, I found a problem since the 9.2.2 update.

When importing photo from any camera (iPhone 4S, Sony A700 or Canon 600D) in iPhoto, the option "Reveal in Finder" shows me "Modified" or "Original" but photos are just imported and I didn't apply any modifications.

• If I choose "original", it reveals the photo (2,3 MB) in my original folder (in my personnal pictures folder for example).
  • But if I choose "modified", it reveals in the iPhoto library/Previews/2012/03/etc... but the photo is exactly the same, it is not a preview, the size is the same (2,5 MB).

In iPhoto preferences, I unticked the "Copy elements imported in Library" because I don't want this. Why do I have photos duplicated and shown as "modified" ??

I don't understand this problem because it works fine when importing older photos. 😕

Can you help me please, do you have this kind of problem ??

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 11:12 AM

Are the photos in the portrait orientation? If so when imported the camera adds a rotation tag to the file and iPhoto reads it and makes an edited version that is rotated so it can be viewed properly. I'm guessing that's what's happening to your photos.

You can avoid that by turning off the auto rotation feature in the camera (except iPhones), uploading to a folder on the Desktop and rotate those photos that need rotation with a 3rd party editor like Xee which can do lossless rotation. Then import into iPhoto and there will be no modified photos.

OT

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2012 11:12 AM in response to CandyCaneBoy

Are the photos in the portrait orientation? If so when imported the camera adds a rotation tag to the file and iPhoto reads it and makes an edited version that is rotated so it can be viewed properly. I'm guessing that's what's happening to your photos.

You can avoid that by turning off the auto rotation feature in the camera (except iPhones), uploading to a folder on the Desktop and rotate those photos that need rotation with a 3rd party editor like Xee which can do lossless rotation. Then import into iPhoto and there will be no modified photos.

OT

Mar 18, 2012 11:35 AM in response to Old Toad

OK, Thank you !

You're right, I read older posts about this, I just took a photo in landscape orientation:

"Reveal in Finder" shows just "Original" and drive me to the folder I used to import it.

For the portrait orientation, there are the two options "Original" and "Modified".

To solve this without an editor, I export my photo in jpg maximum quality in the original folder and replace it. Then re-import it. Finally, I delete the photo saved in previews folder. (Complicated)😐

Bye

Photos just imported are modified (Reveal in Finder) (9.2.2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.