Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone tell me what on earth is wrong with iPhoto

I have been having this issue ever since I bought my new macbook. A Late 2011 13" Macbook Pro with Intel HD 3000 graphics. Please checkout this link below, it is a short video that shows something terribly wrong with iPhoto. I am trying to Edit pictures while all sorts of weirdness is going on with iPhoto. Recently my images are also being coruppted. I have contacted Apple care but have yet to hear from them. Their inital answer was that it seems to be a software issue. My question is that if it is a software issue then why other people are not affected by it. I am running Lion 10.7.3 and this is iPhoto 9.2.2. Everything is upto date on the Mac. If this is a software bug then its very strange its only happening to one machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApRTLF4J47A&context=C474ed56ADvjVQa1PpcFMdYQ2iZ85 -pMzp4cJ5w3Q8W5UCh8VCIGE=

Thanks All in Advance. Hope to get some replies from the iPhoto community.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 11:50 AM

12 replies

Mar 18, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks for the Reply,

Things I have tried.

1) Created new user account, downloaded images from google, still the same problem while editing them.

2) Zeroed out my harddrive, reinstalled Lion, reinstalled iPhoto, still the same problem.

3) Downgraded iphoto to 9.2.1, and nothing same problem

Mar 18, 2012 7:23 PM in response to aipe

Try this: make a temporary, backup copy (if you don't already have a backup copy) of the library and do the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

I'm skeptical the above will help since trying iPhoto in a new user account would essentially do the same thing.

If that doesn't help boot into Safe Mode and try iPhoto again. If iPhoto performs correctly in Safe Mode then reboot and try again. If it still is messed up I think there maybe something wrong with some system components..

If iPhoto performs the same in Safe Mode then it's probably hardware related since you've reinstalled the system and iPhoto. Take it to an Apple store and have them look at it.

OT

Mar 18, 2012 8:26 PM in response to aipe

iPhoto '11 does not perform correctly on my Mac Pro 2.8 Quad-Core running OS 10.7.3.

I upgraded to iPhoto '11 via the App Store. Since then whenever I play a slideshow, the line of thumbnails at the bottom of the screen no longer pops up no matter what I do. I deleted the app and also deleted all the files containing com.apple.pkg.iPhoto. Then I reinstalled iPhoto '11 from the App Store. Rather than use an existing library that might be corrupted, I just located some jpegs dragged them into iPhoto 11 and created a new iPhoto Library. The problem persists. It is not intermittent.

I also installed iPhoto '11 on my Intel (not Core 2 Duo) Macbook Pro laptop. It is loaded with the latest version of Snow Leopard. The thumbnails appear just as they should, allowing me to quickly jump to different points in the slide show.

I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Doug

Mar 19, 2012 3:22 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad for the detailed instructions. I tried your suggestion of booting in Safe mode, and the good news is that it works perfectly in safe mode.

So if it works in Safe mode does it mean that this is a software problem? I know that in Safe mode quartz engine is disabled could that be one issue here?

Thanks

Mar 19, 2012 9:59 AM in response to aipe

It sounds like it's a software/system issue. You've done all of the potential fixes that I can think of. Maybe delete iPhoto and reinstall it one more time. To do so you'll have to delete the current application and all files with "iPhoto" in the file name with either a .PKG or .BOM extension that reside in the HD/Library/Receipts folder and from the /var/db/receipts/ folder,

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Then install iPhoto from the disk it came on originally. Then try iPhoto before applying any updaters.

Jun 9, 2012 7:04 AM in response to aipe

Having updated Lion to 10.7.4 and iPhoto to 9.2.3 the problem has still not been fixed. I have contacted Apple India multiple times and have been really disappointed with the support i have received. They keep on telling me to wait for another software update. 3 1/2 months and I am still stuck with iPhoto that does not work on this machine (Late 2011 13inch Macbook Pro). Shame on you Apple.

Jun 13, 2012 6:19 PM in response to alexfrombeaverton

iPhoto 9.3 has the same problem. Now I have seen the same problem on an early 2011 13inch MBP 2.7Ghz core i7 with the same intel 3000 HD graphics. Which makes me think Apple has been aware of this problem for a very long time and still has not fixed it. I have had another person report that changing hardware does not make a difference, since he replaced his laptop and the replacement had the same problem. As far as I know iPhoto 9.3 does not work as it should on any 13inch Early 2011 to Late 2011 MBP's running intel 3000 HD graphics.

Can anyone tell me what on earth is wrong with iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.