Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple fix the iOS 5.1 battery drain issue?

People keep giving battery saving solutions to the iOS 5.1 battery drain problem but that is not the issue. With iOS 5.0 battery life was terriable. Apple quickly fixed it with 5.01. Now with 5.1 battery life is back to terrible. I could go at least two days without a charge. After the update (and all my patterns and behaviors being the same), I don't even get a full day! Apple needs to fix this! Or allow us to go back to iOS 5.01. Will Apple fix this and if so how soon can we expect a solution?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 11:23 AM

16 replies

Mar 18, 2012 12:54 PM in response to rcduckw

I don't see what I can do any different though. For example, I have spent 10 mins on Facebook and BBC news apps and my battery dropped 10%. I have spent over 15mins flicking through forums and pages on this website and I have dropped 1%. My drain is also incredibly high when I am not using it. I lost 30% of battery in 4hrs this afternoon. Before update I could leave phone for days like that. It's no my phone Use behaviour that's the problem, it's something to do with the OS upgrade.

Mar 18, 2012 1:12 PM in response to mmibe

You are very correct! It is not your fault! I never leave bluetooth or wifi on. I never use gps. My screen is never on full. I use an app that charges and trickles my battery for optimal use. Like I said above I USED TO get 2 DAYS worth out of my phone. Then I upgraded to iOS 5.1 and I like you have the same problem! I now get less than 1 DAY and that is with me HARDLY touching it! So I feel your pain mmibe.

And gdgmacguy, I understand that we are all user. This is my way of letting Apple know that we want a solution. They pay people to look through these threads and see what their paying customers' problems are. The more we all post and type, the faster Apple will realize there is a problem.

Mar 19, 2012 2:39 AM in response to rcduckw

Try to get the complete ipsw and reinstall the firmware. Once the restore is complete, setup the phone as new, this solved my issue and i'm getting unbelievable battery life, which sometimes make me doubt whether the % shown is right.

Link to the direct download is listed on this page. Hope this fixes your problem.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/03/07/ios-5-1-download/

Mar 20, 2012 9:40 AM in response to harish.iyer

harish.iyer! Thanks for posting this suggestion. One question before I try it: do I have to set it up as a new phone. I feel that this completely defeats the purpose of backing up my phone if I'm going to have to redo all of my setting and redownload all of my apps and media every time Apple comes out with a small iOS update. Am I understanding your suggestion right that I cannot use my iCloud backup in order for this to work?

Mar 21, 2012 8:36 AM in response to rcduckw

Yes, you need to setup the phone as new. I understand your issues on the whole process of setting everything from scratch, I'm afraid that's the only way out. However, if you look closely, on the whole, it boils down to following issues only.

• Contacts - You will get this back once you setup your iCloud account on the phone so it shouldn't be a great issue.
  • Apps - Do a transfer purchase to your mac/pc before going for firmware complete reset, once you set the phone as new, you can always sync back the apps. This beats the inapp things like game levels, or your pdf docs synced earlier. iBooks can be restored, otherwise enable document and files backup to iCloud in settings before resetting the phone, then you can get everything back from iCloud.
  • Mails - If you have a mac you can keep all your mail accounts configured on Mail.app, post install you can bring them back from Mail.app to phone easily; otherwise, I'm afraid you need to do everything manually
  • Settings - you will have to setup your wifi configuration, VPN if any manually from the scratch

Dispite all the hasseles listed above, the battery fix would be a hot sun on the face in a winter day. Go for it!

Mar 21, 2012 10:53 PM in response to harish.iyer

I suppose it's not too bad ... if I only have to do it once. If I have to do it everytime Apple comes out with a change to the OS that won't make me a happy camper. It takes quite a bit of time to reorganize all my apps into folders, et cetera (unless iTunes will put them back during the App transfer). I'm currently doing this on my iPad to see if it helps. I'll let everyone know what I find and if its worth the hassle, because you are right, having my battery work properly would be nice.

Thanks for the suggestion and link.

Will Apple fix the iOS 5.1 battery drain issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.