11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2012 3:53 PM by specialk04
Rothrock Level 4 Level 4 (1,450 points)

Just got a Verizon 4G iPad. I go into the Settings > Cellular Data > View Account and a window pops up telling me that "The SIM Card inserted in this device is already active on a subscription that connot be managed on this device."

I thought that the data plan was supposed to be manageable from the device.

I first called the Verizon customer care number given in the window. The first person said I had some kind of two year contract and passed me off to a different person. The second person said I did not have a contract, but that I needed to set up My Verzion account on the website. But that still didn't work. So I went back to the Verizon store and they said I had to download the My Verizon App.

I'm pretty sure they are all wrong and that I should be able to manage my account directly through the iPad. Isn't that correct?

• Rothrock Level 4 Level 4 (1,450 points)

I found this page here (not for 4G, but I imagine it should be the same). http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4571

Is it because I bought directly from Verizon?

A little more research seems to indicate that I have been signed up for a post-paid account. Which doesn't seem like something I want. I think I'm going to head back to the Verizon store.

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (41,940 points)

Verizon doesn't offer prepaid for the iPad. However, the postpaid plan is a month-to-month plan, not a contract with an early termination fee.

• specialk04 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

That is not correct. I have a prepaid account account with Verizon. The prepaid account is activated directly on the new iPad or iPad2.

It seems that Verizon does offer prepaid, but they want to make it so scary and spread a lot of FUD around it. The rep told me there is a $35 fee each time I activate it. Which according to this link isn't/wasn't true.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/verizon-clarifies-ipad-activation-fes/

I think they want to make money off the post-paid plan and get my SS#. I'm really quite ****** about this.

I'm waiting at the VZ store, we shall see.

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (41,940 points)

The plan that that article references is the month-to-month plan. It is not a prepaid plan. You will receive a bill every month until you cancel the account. Keep in mind that the article you referenced is also a year old. Terms and conditions may have changed.

I know it is old, hence the "isn't/wasn't" true. However I would think that if there were crazy rumors about this with the introduction of the iPad2 it is likely the same junk is still going around. Additionally I do not see any thing in the article referencing whether the month-to-month is pre or post paid. Just that it is no contract required.

In any event, what I wanted was the ability to manage my plan from my iPad — something touted by Apple and even built into the Settings. And it seems that there couldn't possibly be a $35 fee for reuping a $30 montly service, as Pouge said, "That seemed so user-hostile, so outrageous,.."

Here is what I have found out from my hour at the VZ store.

• 4G iPads sold through a VZ store must be activated in store and signed up for a plan — either pre- or post-paid. Neither requires a contract of any sort.
    • There will be a $35 service charge either way.
    • There is no service charge for using the on-device account activation.
    • Oddly enough it seems that you must have wifi to activiate the account. Which seems strange to me.

Of course I got home and tried to use wifi to acivate my account. And now I've got "Invalid Sim card."

As I said Verizon does offer a prepaid plan! I have two of them at this time. I prepay with my debit card and buy the data plan that suits my needs. I have had a prepaid plan since I bought the IPad 2 in March 2011. The plan that you purchase automatically renews each month unless you cancel it before the end of the 30 days.

Call VZW customer service and tell them to refund your $35 fee. Ask them to convert you to a prepaid account and you will be able to manage your data from your iPad. You may need to get a new SIM card if they did an in-store activation.

Yup. Need a new sim card. But the VZ store doesn't have the tool to pop it out or anyway to get me a new sim. So now I'm in the monster line at the Apple store. Maybe they can help.

Be careful at BB they will try to sign you up for a postpaid plan because they receive a commission. A small paper clip should open the SIM card tray. Please be careful because I have never done this before! Try at your own risk.

Ask a VZW CS supervisor to call your VZW store to give you a new SIM card since they mislead you from the beginning.

All the best.