Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manage Verizon data plan on iPad

Just got a Verizon 4G iPad. I go into the Settings > Cellular Data > View Account and a window pops up telling me that "The SIM Card inserted in this device is already active on a subscription that connot be managed on this device."

I thought that the data plan was supposed to be manageable from the device.

I first called the Verizon customer care number given in the window. The first person said I had some kind of two year contract and passed me off to a different person. The second person said I did not have a contract, but that I needed to set up My Verzion account on the website. But that still didn't work. So I went back to the Verizon store and they said I had to download the My Verizon App.

I'm pretty sure they are all wrong and that I should be able to manage my account directly through the iPad. Isn't that correct?

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 12:49 PM

11 replies

Mar 18, 2012 1:52 PM in response to specialk04

It seems that Verizon does offer prepaid, but they want to make it so scary and spread a lot of FUD around it. The rep told me there is a $35 fee each time I activate it. Which according to this link isn't/wasn't true.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/verizon-clarifies-ipad-activation-fes/

I think they want to make money off the post-paid plan and get my SS#. I'm really quite ****** about this.

I'm waiting at the VZ store, we shall see.

Mar 18, 2012 2:50 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I know it is old, hence the "isn't/wasn't" true. However I would think that if there were crazy rumors about this with the introduction of the iPad2 it is likely the same junk is still going around. Additionally I do not see any thing in the article referencing whether the month-to-month is pre or post paid. Just that it is no contract required.

In any event, what I wanted was the ability to manage my plan from my iPad — something touted by Apple and even built into the Settings. And it seems that there couldn't possibly be a $35 fee for reuping a $30 montly service, as Pouge said, "That seemed so user-hostile, so outrageous,.."

Here is what I have found out from my hour at the VZ store.

• 4G iPads sold through a VZ store must be activated in store and signed up for a plan — either pre- or post-paid. Neither requires a contract of any sort.
  • There will be a $35 service charge either way.
  • There is no service charge for using the on-device account activation.
  • Oddly enough it seems that you must have wifi to activiate the account. Which seems strange to me.

Of course I got home and tried to use wifi to acivate my account. And now I've got "Invalid Sim card."

Mar 18, 2012 3:53 PM in response to Rothrock

Be careful at BB they will try to sign you up for a postpaid plan because they receive a commission. A small paper clip should open the SIM card tray. Please be careful because I have never done this before! Try at your own risk.

Ask a VZW CS supervisor to call your VZW store to give you a new SIM card since they mislead you from the beginning.

All the best.

Manage Verizon data plan on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.