Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to con net to cellular data or edge or 3g

Hi

I bought a new unlocked iPhone 4s, my problem is that the phone does not connect to Internet using cellular data, iOS 5.1.0, however it works fine on wi-fi networks. I called up my cell company and they could not help, I am using airtel 3G in India since last 10 years, and this is my third iPhone, I never faced any such problem before. I am unable to send and rcv emails on edge or 3G, can't access Internet also.

I tried using my sim on another iPhone 4s and the 3G worked, even edge worked,

I used another iPhone's sim in my iPhone, and the cellular data did not work- so it was clear that there was something wrong in the hand set

Now on checking forums I tried many things

Turned off and on airplane mode - cellular data did not work

Reset network settings - cellular data did not work

Reset all settings - cellular data did not work

Erase all content and settings - cellular data did not work

Removed sim and put it back - cellular data did not work

Soft reset - cellular data did not work

Hard reset - cellular data did not work.

Pls help and let me know if there is something I can do to get my 3G or edge working, is there a possibility of defective handset.

Pls help!!!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 12:34 PM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2012 12:42 PM in response to new10

new10 wrote:

I tried using my sim on another iPhone 4s and the 3G worked, even edge worked,

I used another iPhone's sim in my iPhone, and the cellular data did not work- so it was clear that there was something wrong in the hand set

Pls help and let me know if there is something I can do to get my 3G or edge working, is there a possibility of defective handset.

I think you answered your own question. If your sim works in another phone, it is ok. If another working sim does not work in your phone, it sounds like the phone to me.

Mar 25, 2012 1:39 AM in response to new10

Sorry Chris, Phone hardware is fine, i used www.unlockit.co.nz to change the APN settings as required by the carrier, and the cellular data worked !!!...... My 3G is working fine and I could use emails, safari, maps ....

Mine was a factory unlocked iPhone 4s bought from the apple store, still I had to use unlockit.co.nz to get the cellular data working...

Not sure for other unlocks... But if you are able to make calls, and have a data plan, and all settings are fine, then APN settings are the real culprit..

Let me know if it works for someone else.

Unable to con net to cellular data or edge or 3g

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.