Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall malware autocomplete pro?

I have noticed this little program called autocomplete pro that is now on my computer on Safari. Anytime I search for something on the internet, the autocomplete bar that is normally there is covered up by a separate one by autocomplete pro. It is a known malware program, that I found in my research, but most people have asked how to get rid of it on Firefox or windows, now Safari. I am running OS X snow leopard, I believe. I have looked under extensions, there is nothing there. Please help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 12:42 PM

9 replies

Mar 18, 2012 1:16 PM in response to agarwaln

Hi ...

Check all the library folders mentioned at this link.

Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

See if you can locate the add on.

I am running OS X snow leopard, I believe

To see which Mac OS X you have installed click the Apple menu icon top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click: About This Mac

Snow Leopard is v10.6.x

I just tried downloading the utilitiy. File name is: AutocompleteproAcPro.exe

That is for Windows only.

edited by: cs

Mar 18, 2012 1:53 PM in response to agarwaln

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Third-party system modifications are a common cause of usability problems. By a “system modification,” I mean software that affects the operation of other software – potentially for the worse. The following procedure will help identify which such modifications you've installed. Don’t be alarmed by the complexity of these instructions – they’re easy to carry out and won’t change anything on your Mac.

These steps are to be taken while booted in “normal” mode, not in safe mode. If you’re now running in safe mode, reboot as usual before continuing.

Below are instructions to enter some UNIX shell commands. The commands are harmless, but they must be entered exactly as given in order to work. If you have doubts about the safety of the procedure suggested here, search this site for other discussions in which it’s been followed without any report of ill effects.

Some of the commands will line-wrap or scroll in your browser, but each one is really just a single line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, and you can then either copy or drag it. The headings “Step 1” and so on are not part of the commands.

Note: If you have more than one user account, Step 2 must be taken as an administrator. Ordinarily that would be the user created automatically when you booted the system for the first time. The other steps should be taken as the user who has the problem, if different. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this paragraph doesn’t apply.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

When you launch Terminal, a text window will open with a line already in it, ending either in a dollar sign (“$”) or a percent sign (“%”). If you get the percent sign, enter “sh” (without the quotes) and press return. You should then get a new line ending in a dollar sign.

Step 1

Copy or drag – do not type – the line below into the Terminal window, then press return:

kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'

Post the lines of output (if any) that appear below what you just entered (the text, please, not a screenshot.)

Step 2

Repeat with this line:

sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix)|edu\.mit|org\.(amavis|apache|cups|isc|ntp|postfix|x)/{print $3}'

This time, you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning.

Step 3

launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|edu\.mit|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}'

Step 4

ls -1A /e*/mach* {,/}L*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta}* L*/Fonts 2> /dev/null

Important: If you synchronize with a MobileMe account, your me.com email address may appear in the output of the above command. If so, anonymize it before posting.

Step 5

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of every login item' 2> /dev/null

Remember, steps 1-5 are all drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste, whichever you prefer – no typing, except your password. Also remember to post the output.

You can then quit Terminal.

Mar 22, 2012 11:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

This is what was outputted.

Last login: Thu Mar 22 14:17:08 on ttys000

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix)|edu\.mit|org\.(amavis|apache|cups|isc|ntp|postfi x|x)/{print $3}'

scManagerD

com.google.keystone.daemon

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|edu\.mit|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}'

com.google.keystone.root.agent

com.facebook.videochat.Nalli.updater

com.divx.agent.postinstall

com.codecm.uploader

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ ls -1A /e*/mach* {,/}L*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta} * L*/Fonts 2> /dev/null

/Library/Components:

/Library/Extensions:

/Library/Frameworks:

DivX Toolkit.framework

NyxAudioAnalysis.framework

PluginManager.framework

TSLicense.framework

/Library/Input Methods:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

.DS_Store

DirectorShockwave.plugin

Flash Player.plugin

flashplayer.xpt

/Library/Keyboard Layouts:

/Library/LaunchAgents:

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons:

Safe.Connect.plist

com.apple.third_party_32b_kext_logger.plist

com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes:

DivX.prefPane

Flash Player.prefPane

Flip4Mac WMV.prefPane

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools:

/Library/QuickLook:

GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator

iWork.qlgenerator

/Library/QuickTime:

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component

DivX Decoder.component

DivX Encoder.component

Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component

Flip4Mac WMV Export.component

Flip4Mac WMV Import.component

Google Camera Adapter 0.component

Google Camera Adapter 1.component

/Library/Spotlight:

AppleWorks.mdimporter

GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

Microsoft Office.mdimporter

iWork.mdimporter

/Library/StartupItems:

/etc/mach_init.d:

dashboardadvisoryd.plist

/etc/mach_init_per_login_session.d:

/etc/mach_init_per_user.d:

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins:

SkypeABDialer.bundle

SkypeABSMS.bundle

Library/Fonts:

Library/Input Methods:

.localized

Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

FacebookVideoCalling.bundle

Library/Keyboard Layouts:

Library/LaunchAgents:

com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-agarwaln@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist

com.codecm.uploader.plist

com.divx.agent.postinstall.plist

com.facebook.videochat.Nalli.plist

Library/PreferencePanes:

Library/Stand O'Food 3 Free:

ProfileInfo.nut

web

xpromo

xpromo.log

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of every login item' 2> /dev/null

iTunesHelper, SafeConnect

Mar 23, 2012 11:53 AM in response to Linc Davis

This is what was outputted.

Last login: Thu Mar 22 14:17:08 on ttys000

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix)|edu\.mit|org\.(amavis|apache|cups|isc|ntp|postfi x|x)/{print $3}'

scManagerD

com.google.keystone.daemon

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|edu\.mit|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}'

com.google.keystone.root.agent

com.facebook.videochat.Nalli.updater

com.divx.agent.postinstall

com.codecm.uploader

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ ls -1A /e*/mach* {,/}L*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta} * L*/Fonts 2> /dev/null

/Library/Components:

/Library/Extensions:

/Library/Frameworks:

DivX Toolkit.framework

NyxAudioAnalysis.framework

PluginManager.framework

TSLicense.framework

/Library/Input Methods:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

.DS_Store

DirectorShockwave.plugin

Flash Player.plugin

flashplayer.xpt

/Library/Keyboard Layouts:

/Library/LaunchAgents:

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons:

Safe.Connect.plist

com.apple.third_party_32b_kext_logger.plist

com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes:

DivX.prefPane

Flash Player.prefPane

Flip4Mac WMV.prefPane

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools:

/Library/QuickLook:

GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator

iWork.qlgenerator

/Library/QuickTime:

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component

DivX Decoder.component

DivX Encoder.component

Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component

Flip4Mac WMV Export.component

Flip4Mac WMV Import.component

Google Camera Adapter 0.component

Google Camera Adapter 1.component

/Library/Spotlight:

AppleWorks.mdimporter

GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

Microsoft Office.mdimporter

iWork.mdimporter

/Library/StartupItems:

/etc/mach_init.d:

dashboardadvisoryd.plist

/etc/mach_init_per_login_session.d:

/etc/mach_init_per_user.d:

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins:

SkypeABDialer.bundle

SkypeABSMS.bundle

Library/Fonts:

Library/Input Methods:

.localized

Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

FacebookVideoCalling.bundle

Library/Keyboard Layouts:

Library/LaunchAgents:

com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-agarwaln@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist

com.codecm.uploader.plist

com.divx.agent.postinstall.plist

com.facebook.videochat.Nalli.plist

Library/PreferencePanes:

Library/Stand O'Food 3 Free:

ProfileInfo.nut

web

xpromo

xpromo.log

Nalli-Agarwals-MacBook-Pro:~ Nalli$ osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of every login item' 2> /dev/null

iTunesHelper, SafeConnect

Mar 25, 2012 9:01 PM in response to agarwaln

Hello Mac Users

I had the same problem with Safari. Everytime i tried to search something for e.g, a video on youtube i got the autocomplete pro with suggestions.

So this is what i did which work for me.

I am running osx 10.6.8

Go to Prefernces in Safari. Then go Privacy tab. Click on Remove all website data. Click Remove now.

Close Safari

Right Click on Safari icon in Dock.

Select Quit

Relaunch safari normally.

After all these steps you wont see autocomplete pro.

How to uninstall malware autocomplete pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.