You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Good web design software to replace iWeb

Hello There,

I have been using iWeb for a while now, and despite its limitations, I like it. Now that Apple has discontinued (or will discontinue) MobileMe and some of the features wont be available any more, I decided to move to another web-design program.

I have downloaded the trial of rapidweaver (the one with the 3 page limit) so I could play with it and see what it was like. It is HORRIBLE, it is not easy to use, importing pictures seems pretty impossible. I cant insert pictures like I can in iWeb, I cant drag things around like I can in iWeb - the whole program seems to be template and text based.

I don't really know how to do coding or anything, so I am not looking for a fancy web-design tool that costs a fortune. But I want something that I can actually use. I want to do the following;

1. Create pages from scratch if I want to
  2. Insert images and reposition them
  3. Insert images into my text and aline them
  4. Have a blog
  5. Have a photo gallery
  6. insert movies (when I want to share them)
  7. have a chat room
  8. Have a nice looking site without having to do any serious heavy coding (because I don't really know how to)

Can someone please suggest to me a good website design program that is comparable to iWeb and with which I can replace the afore mentioned iWeb. Eervyone says RapidWeaver, but I really didnt like it.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 12:51 PM

20 replies

Mar 18, 2012 1:02 PM in response to JayTelford

Just to promote iWeb for a bit more read the following in case you hadn't considered it:

As you now know iWeb and iDVD have been discontinued by Apple. This is evidenced by the fact that new Macs are shipping with iLife 11 installed but without iWeb and iDVD.

On June 30, 2012 MobileMe will be shutdown. HOWEVER, iWeb will still continue to work but without the following:

Features No Longer Available Once MobileMe is Discontinued:

◼ Password protection

◼ Blog and photo comments

◼ Blog search

◼ Hit counter

◼ MobileMe Gallery

Currently if the site is published directly from iWeb to the 3rd party server the RSS feed and slideshow subscription features will work. However, if the site is first published to a folder on the hard drive and then uploaded to the sever with a 3rd party FTP client those two features will be broken.

All of these features can be replaced with 3rd party options.

There's another problem and that's with iWeb's popup slideshows. Once the MMe servers are no longer online the popup slideshow buttons will not display their images.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

However, Roddy McKay and I have figured out a way to modify existing sites with those slideshows and iWeb itself so that those images will display as expected once MobileMe servers are gone. How to is described in this tutorial: iW14 - Modify iWeb So Popup Slideshows Will Work After MobileMe is Discontinued.

NOTE: the iLife 11 boxed version Is no longer available at the online Apple Store. To get a copy you'll have to try Amazon.com or eBay.com.

Now that being said there's been a lot of discussion on replacements to iWeb. Most of the applications are template driven and make it difficult to start with a clean page. Roddy has more experience in evalutating those apps. I decided on Flux. It's a drag and drop, WYSIWYG application with easy code insertion. If you've ever added a 3rd party slideshow to an iWeb page with an HTML snippet you can view this Flux tutorial page on how I did it with Flux: F03 - Adding a SimpleViewer Slideshow to a Web Page or this tutorial on adding a multi page PDF document to a web page: F02 - Adding a PDF Document to a Web Page.

I have to admit it takes a little study but the video tutorials at the Flux site and those 3rd party videos on YouTube help quite a bit.

If you search this community for "iWeb alternatives" you should get a list of topics discussing the other alternatives.

OT

Mar 19, 2012 1:50 AM in response to JayTelford

Other alternatives to look at are Sandvox, Freeway Express/Pro - Pro is quite expensive though and then Flux 3.

After that there are the online website creation packages such as Snap Pages or Weebly or Wix that produces flash sites and then the Content Management Systems like WordPress.org, Drupal and Joomla.

However, at the moment, there is no need to stop using iWeb - although it is unsupported it will still work and there are workarounds for everything that you might want to do from hit counters to blog comments etc.

Mar 19, 2012 4:34 AM in response to JayTelford

I went from iWeb to Sandvox and like it. I also explored most of the other options, and can really recommend Weebly, which offers two free sites and is easy to use. It has a pro version and third parties who will sell you beautiful templates (Div Tag).

Now, if money weren't a concern, I would suggest checking out Adobe's Muse. It is free right now but will cost a bunch later in the year. But the sites it creates are really flexible.

Hugh

Mar 19, 2012 5:33 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much for the information that is here. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without this community. I'm a teacher and use my website for all my curriculum and have close to 100,000 hits. http://web.me.com/nesack/NES_Technology/Welcome.html

I have moved my hosting to GoDaddy - trying it out....

But I need to have a hit counter to document the activity I get for my school administration. I cannot have any ads on my website, since it's for school and kids use it.

I would be happy to pay for a hit counter if that's the best way. Any ideas would be so greatly appreciated.

Janie Hobson-Dupont

Nantucket Elementary School

Nantucket, MA

NESiPad1@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2012 6:04 AM in response to Janiehd

I'm sure that if you run a computerlab, you may have heard about the concept of searching :

http://www.google.com/search?q=hit+counter

And for the computer savvy :

http://www.wyodor.net/blog/archives/2010/05/entry_316.html

(IWEB : ADDING GOOGLE ANALYTICS WITHOUT EDITING THE WEBPAGE)

(unfortunately, Apple decided that you cannot format text in this forum on an iPad)

Mar 19, 2012 10:15 AM in response to Janiehd

I use StatCounter. This tutorial describes how to add it using an HtML snippet: iW05 - Adding a StatCounter as an HTML Snippet to an iWeb Page. The counter can be text based or graphical and be invisible or not. It provides quite a variety of information about the visitors:

If you know any HTML you might find Flux a good substitute for iWeb. It has a 30 day demo time period. The video tutorials at their website and the 3rd party video tutorials at YouTube are very helpful.

Aug 28, 2012 2:41 AM in response to JayTelford

I'm another previous user of iweb who feels lost in this jungle of web design programs! I need something for a small business website (used mainly for informative purposes, with only approx 6 pages)

I am looking for something fairly simple to use, but high quality (drop and click), but I don't need hosting, just software that will help me to re-build the site (or transfer) that I had before on iweb.

around $100 is ok, but ideally with a free trial so I can test run it.

I've looked at dreamweaver, wix, and Sandvox, but is there something better out there? I'm still not that impressed, Sandvox doesn't have that many templates that work with what I already have!

Help, please??

KGren

Aug 28, 2012 3:00 AM in response to KGren

Have a look at RapidWeaver. In many ways its similar to iWeb, though of course it does operate differently and you'll have to learn it. It comes with a number of templates which you can use in a generally similar way to iWeb, and there is a huge number of add-ons and additional templates available from third parties (of course the cost mounts up with these, but the same is true of iWeb). It's also well supported (unlike iWeb which is now abandonware).

You can create attractive sites very easily, and go on from there to much more complex ones later if you want to. I posted a sample photo album, showing off three different templates:

http://rfwilmut.net/rweaver/

and this is an example of advanced use of RapidWeaver using the 'Blocksbox' plugin:

http://www.rfwilmut.clara.net/stars/index.html

It's £52.25 in their online store, or slightly more expensive in the Mac App Store. There is a free trial - unlimited time but limited to three pages if I remember correctly.

(I have no connection with this company.)

Aug 28, 2012 3:06 AM in response to KGren

Hi there,

There is nothing better than Adobe Dreamweaver. That is pretty much the industry standard for website design. You can use drag and drop in Dreamweaver, but if you have the time to learn some very basic HTML (namely how to create div tags) then you can vastly improve your drag and drop layout.

Dreamweaver also let's you design in pure html5 and CSS, so it is pretty much the daddy. You can get Dreamweaver as part of the Adobe Creative Cloud. It costs something like $49 a month but for that you pretty much get all of adobes professional program's including photoshop, illustrator and fireworks, which will come in handy for doing he graphics on your site.

If you were to purchase those four program's as stand alone program's they would cost you well over $1000, and that's not all you get with Adobe Creative Cloud, you get the whole master suite of program's that together would probably cost you over $5000. So you see that the $49 per month is with it. You can read about adobe creative cloud, by going here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

You can also dig up for the basic membership (which is free) and gives you a 30 day free trial of all the master suite.

If you don't want to go for adobe, then a good intermediary is Rapidweaver. Rapidweaver, is drag and drop just like iWeb, but has more power and scope than iWeb. You can also purchase many professional themes for Rapidweaver that are priced at about $35. However, this is not needed if you just want a basic site because Rapidweaver comes with some fantastic built in themes. You can read about Rapidweaver by going here:

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview/

You can also continue to use iWeb with your current webhosting and publish via FTP. As long as you haven't removed iWeb from your computer it will continue to work with FTP. However there will be some limitations on photo albums and blogs.

Aug 28, 2012 3:56 AM in response to JayTelford

You commented in your original post about not being able to drag things around in RapidWeaver: if you use the BlocksBox or Stacks plugins you can do just that, and there is a Blocks theme which is in effect an empty template. That's how the page I linked to was created. There's an additional cost, of course, but it's nothing compared with the cost of the Adobe program(s) - which do seem overkill for KGren's 6-page site.

Aug 28, 2012 9:31 AM in response to KGren

I think its necessary to keep things in proportion when discussing alternatives to iWeb considering that its real cost was around $15.

To even suggest using products like RapidWeaver - far less that illiterate giant DreamWeaver- is kind of ridiculous for the person who only creates one or two websites.

There's a huge number of online site builders to choose from but they are all hampered by their lack of facilities to go beyond a basic site and are not free if you need something more than a stereotype web presence. Their only advantage is that they are accessible from any computer although I wouldn't want to depend on someone else's server for a business site.

A better alternative, which is cross platform and the only app I can find that's within the iWeb price range, is this one...

http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com

Its essential nowadays to have a mobile version of your site, or a responsive design, if you are in business. Its only a matter of time before the number of people surfing on these devices overtakes computer users. You can create a mobile design with Wix but its not free if you want reasonable facilities.

Aug 28, 2012 10:19 AM in response to Roddy

Hi Roddy,

From what I can see, the app you suggested is really only capable of designing extremely basic websites and is entirely based on a template style layout.

Templates are very restrictive (you have to stick to the basic layout they provide). A theme, would be better for anything other than a basic one or two page personal site. This was the reason that I suggested Rapidweaver. Rapidweaver uses themes rather than templates and a theme has slightly more scope than a template.

Rapidweaver is also very powerful and allows you to to create business grade websites with very little or none existant knowledge of HTML or CSS coding.

However, even a theme does not really give you very much scope for creating professional quality websites. The best way to do that, is to design, code and build your website from the ground up. This was the reason I suggested Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is very affordable as part of the Adobe Creative Cloud (as I mentioned in my response).

The poster asked for drag and drop. Dreamweaver also lets you do this, by writing some very simple CSS to set up the page size, colors and feel and by using some simple div tags to set up your layout, you are then able to drag and drop stuff directly into dreamweavers design mode. Dreamweaver will then input the HTML inside the corresponding div tag, so you don't even need to know how to do that.

Of course if you know how to write complex HTML and CSS, or if you are planning on learning how to do so, your experience with Dreamweaver will be vastly improved. Although you *don't* need to know how to write complex HTML and CSS in order to use Dreamweaver

Also going for the daddy, give you plenty of scope to learn and advance your site. Dreamweaver is pretty much the industry standard and makes your website "future proof" and with the Adobe Creative Cloud all your software is future proof too.

Regards

Jason

Roddy wrote:

I think its necessary to keep things in proportion when discussing alternatives to iWeb considering that its real cost was around $15.

To even suggest using products like RapidWeaver - far less that illiterate giant DreamWeaver- is kind of ridiculous for the person who only creates one or two websites.

There's a huge number of online site builders to choose from but they are all hampered by their lack of facilities to go beyond a basic site and are not free if you need something more than a stereotype web presence. Their only advantage is that they are accessible from any computer although I wouldn't want to depend on someone else's server for a business site.

A better alternative, which is cross platform and the only app I can find that's within the iWeb price range, is this one...

http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com

Its essential nowadays to have a mobile version of your site, or a responsive design, if you are in business. Its only a matter of time before the number of people surfing on these devices overtakes computer users. You can create a mobile design with Wix but its not free if you want reasonable facilities.

Good web design software to replace iWeb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.