Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable Disk Use w/ iPhone 4 & iOS 5.1?

Hi All -

I have an iPhone 4 that I sync to iTunes (v 10.6). I used to have the ability to "Enable Disk Use". This was an option in the Summary page of the iPhone when synced. I have since updated the OS to 5.1 & I no longer see this option on iTunes when my phone is sync'd via USB cable.

Anybody know how to re-enable this?

It was helpful to me to download all the photos & videos off my iPhone.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 3:00 PM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2012 6:06 PM in response to KiltedTim

Having been the owner of several iPhones - I beg to differ. Maybe we are talking about the same thing ot not.

You used to have to enable to Flag within the Summary page on iTunes to see it as a removeable storage device on Windows Explorer. Since upgrading to iTunes 10.6 & iOS 5.1 - this ability to see the "removeable storage" of the iPhone has been disabled.

make sense?

Mar 18, 2012 6:48 PM in response to rbuhre

Sorry. I've owned every iPhone since the original, and I've never seen this option. I HAVE seen this option on numerous iPods, but never on the iPhone. There are even a number of apps in the app store specifically designed to do this, since the iPhone does not support it.

I've always synced my iPhones with a Mac, so maybe there is a difference, but I don't believe so. I checked the manuals going back to iOS 4 and this is not mentioned anywhere as a feature of the iPhone. I believe you're mistaken. The only way this could be done would be with a jailbroken phone.

Mar 21, 2012 12:23 PM in response to KiltedTim

Well my phone is not jailbroken. Perhaps I am using to incorrect terminology with "enable disk use".

All I know is prior to upgrading to iOS 5.1 & iTunes - I was able to see my iPhone using Windows Explorer.(Removable Storage)

To me this is an easier way than to Sync it with iTunes (via iCloud or not) & transfer my photos/videos from my iPhone to my PC's hard drive.

I dont see the necessity of buying an app or using iCloud just to transfer my photos to my PC.

Any suggestions?

Mar 21, 2012 12:38 PM in response to rbuhre

You should be able to see the camera storage in Windows Explorer. Not the same as 'disk mode', but I understand what you mean now. There shouldn't be anything you need to enable at all. I only plug my iPhone into a PC to charge when at work. I sync with a Mac at home. I do see the storage, though. Just plugged it in to confirm. All you have access to is the camera roll. You might want to re-install iTunes 10.6 to make sure you have the right drivers.

Enable Disk Use w/ iPhone 4 & iOS 5.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.