Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch won't connect/sync/appear? SOLUTION! READ BELOW!

Hey everybody I've seen a lot of people on here with a problem connecting their iPod touch (or other devices) to their pc. Even when you know you have it connected to a good USB port it won't show up in iTunes and the screen just keeps telling you to connect your device to iTunes. Here's the problem: BAD DEVICE DRIVERS FOR YOUR USB PORT!! Don't worrry, you didn't do anything wrong. It seems to be an issue with Windows, but caused by iTunes. So, after much scouring I found an article and I will share with you my findings:

This is a step they should make MUCH easier to find for Ipod users. Here's the link:http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538?viewlocale=en_US

I don't know how directive the link is, but the short and easy of it is this:

1. Go to your device manager

2. Click 'View' and select Devices By Connection

3. Make sure ACPI x64 (or 32) - based PC is expanded (Windows 7 users)

4. Scroll down until you see 'USB Composite Device'

- you should see Apple Mobile Device (recovery mode) in there or something similar

5. Right click the composite device and choose Update Driver Software

6. DO NOT automatically install software; choose 'browse my computer' instead

7. Choose to pick from a list of devices on your pc

8. Click "Have Disk" and browse your computer to this address:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

9. Double click the usbaapl.inf file (it may have 64 next to it)

10. Click OK and continue the install process, including the 'Restore step when iTunes opens...AND THAT'S IT!!

Your iTunes will take all the appropriate steps (5-10 minutes) to restore your iPod. If I missed anything let me know. Otherwise, pass this on to your friends as Apple has made it inherently difficult to hunt down. Good luck!!

I hope this has been helpful for everyone. Please feel free to leave feedback. You might have some good input for others that I haven't included on here. Good luck!!

~Swim4Zen

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 3:29 PM

16 replies

Mar 18, 2012 6:16 PM in response to Swim4Zen

1. I can't find ACPI x32 there.

2. Apple Mobile Device doesn't show in that list. (my ipod touch won't even go into recovery mode or connect to pc)

3. I only have these files in that location: - usbaapl (some kind of cataloge it says)

- usbaapl (setup data)

- usbaapl.sys (systemfile)

- usbaaplrc.dll (extention)

double clicking them all doesn't do anything.

4. reinstalling itunes doesn't seem to work either.

Mar 19, 2012 7:18 PM in response to Wing_Zero

Wing_Zero, reinstalling iTunes definitely won't work with this. I'm not sure why it won't show on your computer. You're running Windows 7, right? There's not even a "USB Composite Device" to expand (step 4)? Also, double check that link (if you haven't already). There are a couple of different steps that you can take to troubleshoot. If none of those work then it might be a totally different issue altogether. Let me know what you find and I'll do my best to help!

~Swim4Zen

P.S - feel free to email me a screeenshot and maybe I can filter out some prelim issues. Doesn't hurt to try (jrkellysr@yahoo.com)

Mar 20, 2012 12:02 PM in response to Swim4Zen

I have an acer with vista and I would like to show you screenshots but I don't think it would help when everything is in dutch? :d but I found that Apple Mobile Device eventually, it was in another place, guess because it's a dutch version or something :d and i found a way to finally connect, but it gives me the recovery error 2 times at the same time when I click recover in itunes, it works the first time but the second time it gives me error 10. but I still didn't find that ACPI.

Mar 21, 2012 8:22 PM in response to Wing_Zero

Okay, well Vista may be a little different. haha, no I don't think Dutch would help either of us. Yes, it may have been located elsewhere because of the language, or because it's Vista instead of Win7. Okay, remember, recovery in iTunes should be one of your last steps. Is "Recover" the same thing as "Restore"?? More importantly, did you remember do complete steps 5 - 10 after you find the Apple Mobile Device? Those THE MOST important steps. Because the out-of-date driver software is the issue in the first place.

Mar 22, 2012 10:34 AM in response to Swim4Zen

yes restore/recover/herstel, that's all the same :d and yes i did because if you do it automaticaly you don't have that option of choosing from that list. but i just use the whole folder, because i can't open the folder. and if i search the file in the folder manualy tru 'my computer' and i double click it just gives me a manual or something. but i got to do that 2 times because i get the error 2 times, i can show you that in a screenshot? you don't need to know dutch to see that :d

May 27, 2012 6:20 PM in response to Swim4Zen

DIDNT WORK!!!

So sick of this issue. The nearest apple store to me is too far away to go to. The help section on the website is ****ing useless.

3 days, 42 uninstalls/reinstalls for itunes- 27 uninstalls and reinstalls for the drivers

And all i get is some message about my ipod not being recognised by itunes. If i dont run itunes i can access my ipod, thru the pc. Admittedly i cant be doing anything in there cos i may delete the wrong thing lol.

Thing that p***es me off the most is the driver is fine if i dont open itunes. As soon as i do, bam, driver issue.

So frustrated i wanna throw the device at the wall, which probably wont fix it!!!

iPod Touch won't connect/sync/appear? SOLUTION! READ BELOW!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.