Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to remain signed in?

I seem to have to repeatedly sign in even if I have been using apple communities just 10 minutes earlier - is there a way to remail signed in?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 4:44 PM

Yes indeed. Unless you are closing Safari (or whatever browser you got here with) you should remain signed in.

40 replies

Mar 19, 2012 4:48 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1 wrote:

Just closing the window should not break the connection, but closing the application will.

This isn't quite the case. Closing the window and re-opening fairly soon after keeps you logged in, but if you close it then you be logged out after several minutes. This is getting quite annoying as I like to pop in from time to time to check for new posts, but it's not always convenient to keep the window open; it really shouldn't be necessary to have to log back in again like this. I don't see why you can't be kept logged in even after the browser is closed - pretty well every other forum does this.

Mar 19, 2012 10:37 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Well, either that or keep signing in (which you appear to find annoying, too). I agree with the distraction point but look at it this way.

If the pop up held the message "You are logged into Apple Communities. Ignore, Log out or Remind me again." That would meet the need of most people who complain.

Someone once suggested that being continually logged in was some form of security threat. If this is so, there would clearly have to be an overall time limit but as I said, none of this is high tech.

Mar 19, 2012 11:33 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger Wilmut1 wrote:

Klaus1 wrote:

Just closing the window should not break the connection, but closing the application will.

This isn't quite the case. Closing the window and re-opening fairly soon after keeps you logged in, but if you close it then you be logged out after several minutes. This is getting quite annoying as I like to pop in from time to time to check for new posts, but it's not always convenient to keep the window open; it really shouldn't be necessary to have to log back in again like this. I don't see why you can't be kept logged in even after the browser is closed - pretty well every other forum does this.

That is not my experience. I logged in this morning at about 10am, spent about 30 minutes on the forums, closed Safari window, let the Mac go to sleep, returned from an outing 7 hours later, and was still logged in.

Mar 19, 2012 11:40 AM in response to Klaus1

Try doing that without letting the Mac go to sleep... the logout is quite consistent after some minutes, though I haven't tried to find the exact time. I can sleep the Mac overnight with the window open and no problem - I've not tried your way - but the issue is that during a session I get logged out if the window gets closed when I'm doing something else for several minutes, and I really can't see any need for this.

Is it possible to remain signed in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.