Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1.4 update breaks SoftwareUpdate on 10.6.8 server, on 2008 xserve, IFJS_PropertyListConvertToType() called with type=3

We've got 3 new-to-us 2008 xserves that we put into service last week. Installed 10.6, updated up to 10.6.8 and took all of the software updates up until Safari 5.1.4. Computers all work fine. Then take the safari update -- afterwards, SoftwareUpdate crashes a bit after launch, gui or command line. The error when you do it on the command line is "IFJS_PropertyListConvertToType() called with type=3".

Over on the osx snow leopard server discussion board, several other people are reporting that they have the problem but only with the 2008 xserve, the 2009 xserve is just fine. (No reports yet about the 2006 xserve.)

I have reported the bug to apple, and they asked for a crash report, which I gave them. It's bug #11048593 (not sure if those are publicly viewable...)

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 8:33 PM

6 replies

Mar 19, 2012 3:14 PM in response to cathy fasano

We’re having the same issue on our 2008-era Xserve, but not on our other Snow Leopard servers and clients.

Apple released an Apple Software Installer Update 1.0 release today which may address the problem. See http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1512 Needless to say, you need to install this update manually using the downloaded DMG.

I’ll be installing this update this evening on our systems to see if this resolves our issue.

Apr 5, 2012 7:42 AM in response to cathy fasano

I have 2 xserves which came with 10.6.3, which I applied all software updates EXCEPT safari 5.1.4, and they were working just fine -- software update launched and ran with no problems. Installed safari 5.1.5, and they still both just fine. On the other hand, a machine with the 5.1.4 update installed upon it, followed by the 5.1.5 update will still be broken -- whatever 5.1.4 does to break Software Update is not fixed by 5.1.5, but 5.1.5 doesn't break it, either.

Apr 5, 2012 8:32 AM in response to cathy fasano

Not for me. 5.1.5 download over 5.1.4 on XServe 10.6.8 most definitely fixed Software Update that 5.1.4 broke. If I doesn't fix Software Update crashes contact Apple Enterprise support. They worked with me at no charge to identify the issue prior to the 5.1.5 release and told me to wait for the update for a fix. Once I installed 5.1.5 Software Update became functional again.

Safari 5.1.4 update breaks SoftwareUpdate on 10.6.8 server, on 2008 xserve, IFJS_PropertyListConvertToType() called with type=3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.