Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 5.1.4 verify certificate errors

After upgrading to Safari 5.1.4 I'm constantly getting error meesage pop-ups similar to these...User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Currently I'm running Lion 10.7.3 My computer time & date is correct. I have reset Safari's cache / cookies, etc to no no avail.

On some websites its no displaying graphics properly and its starting to get extremely frustrating...

Safari is running in 64-bit mode

Is it time to uninstall Safari 5.1.4 and install the previous release???

Message was edited by: blads

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 24" Cinema Display

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 9:48 PM

19 replies

Mar 18, 2012 10:12 PM in response to Community User

Launch the Network Utility application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Network Utility in the page that opens.

Step 1

Select the Lookup tab and enter

discussions.apple.com

in the address field. Press return. Post the output – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Step 2

Select the Ping tab and do the same.

Mar 18, 2012 10:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

Lookup has started…

Trying "discussions.apple.com"

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15648

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;discussions.apple.com. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:

discussions.apple.com. 115 IN CNAME discussions.apple.com.edgekey.net.

Received 86 bytes from 208.67.222.222#53 in 110 ms

Ping has started…

PING e4233.b.akamaiedge.net (173.222.133.54): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=105.882 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=108.201 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=105.423 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=109.241 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=108.612 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=5 ttl=57 time=110.778 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=6 ttl=57 time=107.914 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=7 ttl=57 time=111.678 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=8 ttl=57 time=106.980 ms

64 bytes from 173.222.133.54: icmp_seq=9 ttl=57 time=108.420 ms

--- e4233.b.akamaiedge.net ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 105.423/108.313/111.678/1.859 ms

Mar 18, 2012 10:25 PM in response to Community User

Are the current date (including the year) and time shown on your system clock? If not, correct them and try again.

Otherwise, launch the Activity Monitor application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Activity Monitor in the page that opens.

Select All Processes from the menu in the toolbar, if not already selected. Enter "ocspd" (without the quotes) in the "Filter" text field. Is a process with that name listed?

If not, select Go ▹ Go to Folder… from the Finder menu bar. In the text box that opens, enter

/var/db/crls

From the folder that opens, move these two files to the Trash, then empty:

crlcache.db

ocspcache.db

You’ll be prompted for your administrator password when you do this. Then reboot and try again.

Mar 18, 2012 10:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

Date Time & Year - all correct

ocspd - that process exists & listed

those two files located and deleted...

still had "those annoy can't verify messages" appear upon logging back into here

Mar 19, 2012 3:36 PM in response to Community User

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select Help from the menu bar, and enter “Set up a guest account” (without the quotes) in the search box.

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem(s)?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

Note: If you’ve activated FileVault in Mac OS X 10.7 or later, then you can’t enable the Guest account. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  • Press the power button.
  • Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  • Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode.) Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Mar 20, 2012 12:15 AM in response to Linc Davis

Might have a problem... when you say "Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal..." For the past 2 hours it (MacPro) hasn't booted yet & only showing 50% on the progress indicator. Thankfully laptop is still operational

Mar 20, 2012 6:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

OK I did that... booted with the Cmd+R option, ran Disk Utility > Repair Disk. Disk Utiity says my HD is fine.

Re-booted normally, then shut everything again.

When I start the computer again, hear the chime, and hold down the SHIFT key, the progress bar does appear. However, this progress bar stops moving about halfway through its space. It gets stuck. I've done this twenty times, and the progress bar behavior remains the same no matter what repairs or checks I've done on the computer.

Mar 20, 2012 7:59 PM in response to Community User

You seem to have bad sectors on your boot device. That can only be fixed by a clean reinstallation, or (preferably) by replacing the drive.

Back up all data to at least two different storage devices, if you haven't already done so. The backups can be made with Time Machine or with a mirroring tool such as Carbon Copy Cloner. Preferably both. You must be absolutely certain that you can restore everything to the state it's in now.

Boot from the recovery partition again, launch Disk Utility, and partition – don't erase – the internal drive. This operation will destroy all data on the drive, so you had be better be sure of your backups. Create a single partition with the default options. Install the Mac OS. When you reboot, you'll be prompted to go through the initial setup process. That’s when you import the data from one of your backups. For details on how this works, see here:

Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its backups, or a PC Using Setup Assistant on Lion

Mar 21, 2012 4:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

The drive is only 6 weeks old so I'm unlikely to replace it... currently cloning the drive again to a new external harddrive and backing up via Time Machine.

Do I assume the bad sectors are also responsible for the errors with Safari???

Thanks for all your assistance to date... I'll report back later

Mar 21, 2012 4:04 PM in response to Linc Davis

OK major problem... I backup with Time Machie & Carbon Copy Clone. Booted to recovery partition, launched disk utility, selected the offendng drive and selected Partition with 1 partition.

It came back with an error - Partition Failed... partition failed with this error: Couldn't unmount disk.

Now what do I do???

safari 5.1.4 verify certificate errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.