Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD "Maintenance" Question

Hi everyone,

This may seem like a really stupid question but I have to ask to be sure. Since the workings of SSD technology is new to me (hard drives, however, are old hat), I'm wondering if there's any point to getting one of those Apps like iBoost or the like to analyze my "hard drive" on my MacBook Pro (which has an SSD and not a HD). I imagine that there are a lot of Hard Drive "maintenance" utilities which are utterly useless with SSD technology for like bad sectors, analyzing a HD and the like?

Just thought I'd ask before running any of them. 🙂

Thanks for any info.

Nat.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Time Machine, External Drive

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:49 AM

I do not recommend doing anything to your SSD. You don't want utilities pushing stuff around needlessly doing writes to ununsed cells. Those utilities are mainly designed for HDD's not SSD's. About the only concession you might make to the SSD is to try to install as much ram as possible to minimize paging (writing to the backing store, virtual memory, swap space...pick your favorite term).

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2012 1:49 AM in response to Nat Harari

I do not recommend doing anything to your SSD. You don't want utilities pushing stuff around needlessly doing writes to ununsed cells. Those utilities are mainly designed for HDD's not SSD's. About the only concession you might make to the SSD is to try to install as much ram as possible to minimize paging (writing to the backing store, virtual memory, swap space...pick your favorite term).

Mar 19, 2012 1:49 AM in response to X423424X

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I am definitely not an expert on SSD's, though I do understand the most basic design of it, and it isn't an HDD. The thing is, with the amount of Mac Apps out there for maintenance, nobody has mentioned this in any of their apps and I figured it would be an important enough point for many since so many Mac owners have a Mac Air with SSD or a MacBook Pro with an SSD as I do.

I did want to run the nightly/weekly/monthly scripts for OS X maintenance that are usually run overnight since I don't keep my laptop active during the night. I used to use Onyx for that, but I'm afraid of what it might do to the SSD. Any suggestions?

Mar 19, 2012 1:54 AM in response to Nat Harari

I did want to run the nightly/weekly/monthly scripts for OS X maintenance that are usually run overnight since I don't keep my laptop active during the night. I used to use Onyx for that, but I'm afraid of what it might do to the SSD. Any suggestions?

If your machine is sleeping when one of the daily, weekly, or monthly maintenance task is scheduled to run then it will still be run shortly after you wake your machine. If the machine is off then it is not rescheduled until it is time to run the next day.

The fact that the periodic maintenance tasks are run after waking from sleep is different that it was from earlier systems like Tiger since cron is no longer used to schedule these tasks.

Apr 17, 2012 7:13 AM in response to Nat Harari

Hi. I would like to know if you've done these operations to maintain the ssd drive and if you appear to be useful. In particular the one concerning the sleeping mode.

Thanks.

1. Sleeping mode

By default, when closing the lid on a MacBook, the content of the ram is saved to disk for safety. The ram is still powered on however, and is used when starting up again. The content saved on disk is only used in case of a power loss. This behavior can be changed, at the cost of some safety, so that memory content is not saved to disk. On the bright side, you also save some disk space (equal to the amount of your RAM).

(Sorry for my bad english... 🙂 )

Apr 17, 2012 7:34 AM in response to Nat Harari

Thanks. So you have open Terminal and make this?

We can start by checking the current setting, fire up Terminal.app and type the following.

$ sudo pmset -g | grep hibernatemode hibernatemode 3

3 is the default mode, we want to change this to 0 to disable disk writes.

$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Now we can remove the old sleepimage.

$ sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

But "closing the lid on a MacBook" and Sleep mode on Apple menu it's the same thing?

SSD "Maintenance" Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.