Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad 3 64GB keeps crashing and restarting (3rd Generation 2012)

Last night I was playing on my iPad 3 64GB (Wifi only) and then all of a sudden it crashed then restarted itself.

This happened again about 10 minutes later,

and then again about 5 minutes later,

and now it happens constantly every 2 minutes.

I cant restore it because when its connected to my iTunes, iTunes thinks im unplugging it every 2 mins so dont have enough time to try and restore it.

Also if i turn it off whilst its on charge it turns itself on again and gets into its crashing and restarting cycle.

I've tried reseting it to factory settings on my iPad (thinking that a dodgy app was to blame) and this did nothing, now i just have an empty broken iPad 3

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 6:01 AM

I have exactly the same problem since yesterday. Any solution from Apple?

14 replies

Mar 26, 2012 7:58 AM in response to olymp

I called Apple and went through the whole "im not just being a retard" sequence. They then believed the problem was genuine and told me to go to an apple store.

Meanwhile the guy on the phone from apple told me how to put in into DFU mode (something like that) by:

1.holding the lock and home buttons until it reset,

2. continuing to hold the home button until the device asks to be connected to itunes.

This managed to freeze my screen - which was a result in my opinion as it genuinely looked broken and therefore guarenteed me a swap from apple. but on my way home i noticed that my iPad was continuing to heat up to the point where i feared it setting alight! so i tunred it off. Then when it turned it back on it worked fine!

But regardless of this i had lost faith in my iPad and took it to the apple store to see the "Geniuses" who very kindly apologised and swaped it for a brand new one which is working fine - touch wood.

Mar 26, 2012 1:37 PM in response to Dominic86

Thanks for your feedback. I switched it off over night and this evening it rebootet only once - I will try to synchronise the iPad3 with iTunes now. If the synchro fails again (like yesterday) I will bring the iPad3 back to the apple store and ask for a swap.

Today I have found the following "solution":

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3576490?start=0&tstart=0

I don't know if this is a good solution - I would prefer to get a proper working device.

Aug 7, 2012 9:07 AM in response to Kev98

The iPad should have been backed up from the cloud when you purchased it. Any backup that is on the cloud will still be there but if the last time you backed it up was a month ago, that is what will be on the iPad.

I would try putting the power cord in as if you were charging the iPad, then try to power it on. If that works you might have a battery issue. At the very least you can do a backup to the cloud.

Bring it back to the store regardless so they can take a look at it.

Aug 7, 2012 9:17 AM in response to Kev98

Some more help....I re-read your post and one thing stuck out at me. Your using iTunes to do the backup....you don't need to do that. The backup can be done right from the iPad itself.

Settings, iCloud, backup & storage, back up now.

That will backup the iPad to your iCloud account. Once that is done then log into the new iPad and log into the cloud on that and download the backup right from the new iPad.

Aug 7, 2012 10:18 AM in response to Dragon4486

It is only backed up from the cloud if you have signed into icloud and enabled icloud back up, this is not an automatic feature. If you did not enable iCloud back up you will have to see if your data can be restored from an iTunes backup, but this could be problematic if your your old iPad was using an older version of IOS.

Jan 3, 2014 8:39 PM in response to Dominic86

My 64g wifi ipad three spontaneously reboots,since ios7.4. I didn't notice any problems before the last update. I use my ipad for business,presentations and can't afford to have it shut down while I am at work. I took it to my Apple Store. Diagnostics there revealed a bad battery. They swapped out my ipad for an identical model (for a fee) and we restored it from my iCloud backup. It still has the rebooting problem. I'm getting disparate.,,ideas?

May 7, 2016 6:28 PM in response to Mojopriest

I've been having this problem with my iPad 3 for most of its life. It was out of warranty when it started unfortunately. I can't even back it up to iTunes as it resets during the backup always. at one point I just scrapped everything and reinstalled it as a new ipad prior to iOS 9.3, and the problem seemed to abate until I installed the new iOS. Now it's worse than ever.

If someone, anyone has come up with a definitive fix, I'd love to hear about it. I'm totally disgusted that Apple never jumped on this problem. Googling the issue brings up so many hits of people with the same problem. Apple's response seemed to be to release a new iPad, and that's just not good enough!

As it stands I have an expensive paperweight that I can't rely on for even the simplest of tasks...😠

My iPad 3 64GB keeps crashing and restarting (3rd Generation 2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.