Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer Exorcism Needed

My printer (HP PSC 1510) fails, w/an alert saying another device is using it. Ive looked in various places and see no obvious duplications of printer software. I recently trashed the software, downloaded new software. Printer worked once and then only moved ink cartridges. I uninstalled and reinstalled again. Printer bug light flashes ,cartridges move but nothing else. I only want scanning. Printer software doesnt see printer. Sys Profile sees it.

G4 Quicksilver (2002; 2001?), Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1.25GB/128GB/733Mhz/1mps DSL/GEM 17" flat panel

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 6:58 AM

24 replies

Mar 19, 2012 7:02 PM in response to SG1776

Well, that folder missing, which it isn't, can keep it from printing.

I forget also where we are & what we've done.

I think you should get Applejack...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack

After installing, reboot holding down CMD+s, (+s), then when the DOS like prompt shows, type in...

applejack AUTO

Then let it do all 6 of it's things.

At least it'll eliminate some questions if it doesn't fix it.

The 6 things it does are...

Correct any Disk problems.

Repair Permissions.

Clear out Cache Files.

Repair/check several plist files.

Dump the VM files for a fresh start.

Trash old Log files.

First reboot will be slower, sometimes 2 or 3 restarts will be required for full benefit... my guess is files relying upon other files relying upon other files! :-)

Disconnect the USB cable from any Uninterruptible Power Supply so the system doesn't shut down in the middle of the process.

Just sits there occupying very little space & never interfering, unless you need to invoke it in Single User Mode.

Mar 30, 2012 2:51 AM in response to SG1776

Hi SG1776,

have you already just tried to turn off your printer and the Mac and then turn on again. Does it work now? Sometimes it can happen that a print job is not completed fully and then it gives the error that the device is in use by another program. So a power reset can help. Also verify if you can still make copies on the PSC.

Regards,

Mandy

Mar 30, 2012 10:48 AM in response to Madny78

Ive turned both off and on several times w/o success. Ive not used Applejack or the other advice because some is complex and none is certain. And I didnt have time for a lengthy fix. I hope to have time soon. The cartridges move when its turned on but thats it. Theres little to no ink so Ive only used the scanner for a year. Copy attempt gives alert saying device is in unexpected state or busy. Printer bug light flashes.

Printer Exorcism Needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.