Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a lexicon for the new ipad verbal commands?

I am looking for any type of legend, abbreviations or grammatical suggestions when using the verbal commands on the new Ipad

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 6:54 AM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2012 7:36 AM in response to Bisphenol

This seems to be all Apple has on it - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5176

To me it seems no different than Dragon, VLingo or the other dictation capable apps that have been available for some time, so many of the same sorts of commands should work (like the punctuation commands PogoPossum mentioned.). It is better integrated into iOS though (with Dragon, I've always had to dictate, then copy and paste into the note/message/email or whatever I really wanted the info in).

BTW, just like all those other apps, the iPad Apple dictation feature offloads your voice data to their servers for processing, then sends the interpreted results back for display. True voice processing is just too much for any tiny little mobile processor to handle, plus apparantly, like Dragon and others, Apple builds up a database of words and phrases as well as dialect differences in pronunciation to enable the speech processor algorithms to bet ever better and getting your dictation correct. The paranoia/conspiracy posts have already started to appear about Apple storing your dictation for all sorts of bizarre uses and intentions, but that is the same stuff that came out when dragon first appeared. And there is no evidence that they are doing anything other than what they say - anonomously storing your dictaiton to build lexicons and dialect-specific databases to enhance the speech recongnition algorithms.

Apr 1, 2012 5:10 AM in response to Bisphenol

I have just been experimenting and so far have found the following:

• Say "all caps" then the next word will be capitalized, but you must say it before each new word.
  • Say "new line" will shift to the next line without making a space (at least in notes)
  • Say "new paragraph" and it will shift down two lines
  • Say "quote" then say word(s) and the quotation marks will be inserted
  • So far It appears that it recognizes most punctuation marks, "period", "question mark" and "excamation mark". Note if you only say exclamation, it will write the word exclamation. You have to say exclamation mark.

That's all I have found so far. Wold be interested if other people have found more commands, or tricks.

Is there a lexicon for the new ipad verbal commands?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.