Skip navigation

how do I assign brightness to function keys on new apple Keyboard in 10.3.9 using spark v2.1.1?

706 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 4:35 AM by THEBLESSED1 RSS
THEBLESSED1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 19, 2012 8:22 AM

Hi There,

Following on from my recent post regarding the new apple wired keyboard after very helpful feedback from people who responded to my post I decided to take the leap and purchase it!  Good news is that I am really happy with it and am glad that I got it!  Much nicer then old apple keyboard that I was using. 

I also downloaded spark v. 2.1.1 which has enabled me to change the functions of Fkeys to enable to play, pause, etc... in itunes in accordance with the keyboard layout. However, there are two functions that I am having difficulty assigning which are the F1 and F2 keys which allow the decrease and increase of screen brightness.  Does anyone know how to do this? So that I can control my screen brightness using these keys.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

G4 POWERMAC (1.25GHZ), Mac OS X (10.3.9)
  • Allan Jones Level 7 Level 7 (29,575 points)

Hi again,

Did the EJECT key work? I have been immersed in another project and never got back to testing that with my new Al board moved to the 10.3 PowerMac.

Much nicer then old apple keyboard that I was using.

Agree. The best Mac board ever was the ADB M3501 "Nimitz", nicknamed for its size relative to that of a modern aircraft carrier. It had 104 discreet switches--no membrane. I kept a Nimitiz on my main computer using a Griffin ADB-to-USB adaptor until I upgraded to an i7 iMac late last year. The adaptor had no support after 10.3.9 and the manageable little glitches with it and Tiger got worse with Leo and later.

The Al boards are more than tolerable for me. My only complaint is the short stroke and fairly heavy return pressure. I never learned to type properly (an irony for someone who's made pretty good money writing), and the old Nimitz was more forgiving of my typing style (or lack thereof) than any other board regardless of make or platform.

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,715 points)

I don't have a screen that can be dimmed or brightened, but does Increase/Decrease show up as an option here...

SparkSysKeys.jpg

If not, use the AppleScript one to execute a Script...

http://groups.google.com/group/qlab/browse_thread/thread/a0f05cbd9d6c3570

to turn the brightness of the screen down to 0 / off:

tell application "System Events"
            tell application "System Preferences" to reveal anchor
    "displaysDisplayTab" of pane "com.apple.preference.displays"
            tell process "System Preferences"
                    set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 0
            end tell
    end tell

to turn the brightness of the screen up to full:

set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 1
            end tell
    end tell

NOTE - the only difference between the two scripts is the last number
    which is either 0 or 1. You can also specify a number between 0 & 1. For
    example, .5 = 1/2 brightness & so on.

If you use these, make sure you disable "Automatically adjust brightness
    as ambient light changes or else your mid bright levels well be
    overridden.

Just open the Script Editor & copy/paste the folloing part into it...

set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 0
            end tell
    end tell

Then you can test it there but clicking run.

Repeat for the following one...

set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 1

end tell

end tell

Do they work? If so save them as sseperate Scripts

Trouble is you'll likely have to change them a bit to work in 10.3, but I don't have 10.3 to help with that.

Well, I don't know what System Preferences has available in 10.3, but in Script Editor>File>Open Dictionary.. load System Preferences...

AppleScriptSysPefsDict.jpg

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.