Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I assign brightness to function keys on new apple Keyboard in 10.3.9 using spark v2.1.1?

Hi There,

Following on from my recent post regarding the new apple wired keyboard after very helpful feedback from people who responded to my post I decided to take the leap and purchase it! Good news is that I am really happy with it and am glad that I got it! Much nicer then old apple keyboard that I was using.

I also downloaded spark v. 2.1.1 which has enabled me to change the functions of Fkeys to enable to play, pause, etc... in itunes in accordance with the keyboard layout. However, there are two functions that I am having difficulty assigning which are the F1 and F2 keys which allow the decrease and increase of screen brightness. Does anyone know how to do this? So that I can control my screen brightness using these keys.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated🙂

Thanks in advance.

G4 POWERMAC (1.25GHZ), Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 8:22 AM

10 replies

Mar 19, 2012 8:42 AM in response to THEBLESSED1

Hi again,

Did the EJECT key work? I have been immersed in another project and never got back to testing that with my new Al board moved to the 10.3 PowerMac.

Much nicer then old apple keyboard that I was using.

Agree. The best Mac board ever was the ADB M3501 "Nimitz", nicknamed for its size relative to that of a modern aircraft carrier. It had 104 discreet switches--no membrane. I kept a Nimitiz on my main computer using a Griffin ADB-to-USB adaptor until I upgraded to an i7 iMac late last year. The adaptor had no support after 10.3.9 and the manageable little glitches with it and Tiger got worse with Leo and later.

The Al boards are more than tolerable for me. My only complaint is the short stroke and fairly heavy return pressure. I never learned to type properly (an irony for someone who's made pretty good money writing), and the old Nimitz was more forgiving of my typing style (or lack thereof) than any other board regardless of make or platform.

Mar 19, 2012 11:51 AM in response to THEBLESSED1

I don't have a screen that can be dimmed or brightened, but does Increase/Decrease show up as an option here...

User uploaded file

If not, use the AppleScript one to execute a Script...

http://groups.google.com/group/qlab/browse_thread/thread/a0f05cbd9d6c3570

to turn the brightness of the screen down to 0 / off:

tell application "System Events"
tell application "System Preferences" to reveal anchor
"displaysDisplayTab" of pane "com.apple.preference.displays"
tell process "System Preferences"
set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 0
end tell
end tell

to turn the brightness of the screen up to full:

set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 1
end tell
end tell

NOTE - the only difference between the two scripts is the last number
which is either 0 or 1. You can also specify a number between 0 & 1. For
example, .5 = 1/2 brightness & so on.

If you use these, make sure you disable "Automatically adjust brightness
as ambient light changes or else your mid bright levels well be
overridden.

Mar 19, 2012 1:53 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Many thanks for replying I really appreciate it. In answer to your first question, no increase/decrease does not show up as an option here, so I will have to go with your 2nd suggestion.

I am a little unclear with regards to creating an applescript as I've never done this before, so if you would not mind explaining this to me as I am a little confused-(By the way this has nothing to do with your explanation, but more to do with me being a bit slow🙂 !! Do I type everything that you mentioned above as a single command? How exactly does it work?

Many thanks in advance.

Mar 19, 2012 2:44 PM in response to THEBLESSED1

Just open the Script Editor & copy/paste the folloing part into it...

set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 0
end tell
end tell

Then you can test it there but clicking run.

Repeat for the following one...

set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 1

end tell

end tell

Do they work? If so save them as sseperate Scripts

Trouble is you'll likely have to change them a bit to work in 10.3, but I don't have 10.3 to help with that.

Mar 20, 2012 5:51 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi Again BDAqua,

A big thank you once again with trying to help me. However, unfortunately it didn't work and when I clicked on 'Run' after copying and pasting the above details it came back with the following message "Syntax Error in the script source". "Expected end of line, but found identifier". I am not entirely sure what this means but noticed that the word 'anchor' is highlighted from the details I pasted🙂.

Any further help you or anyone else can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Mar 21, 2012 4:35 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me, I really appreciate it. I have done a little further research concerning 'splasm' and decided against it. Mainly due to the fact that I don't really want to contend with an additional window whilst working but most importantly people have reported that it messes with the colour settings beyond what it should do-so I rather not enter into that territory and create another host of issues.

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions.

Many thanks 🙂

how do I assign brightness to function keys on new apple Keyboard in 10.3.9 using spark v2.1.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.