Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro makes random beeps

Hi,

I bought a new MacBook Pro a few days ago, and it randomly makes this beeping sound. It's not like a problem noise and it comes from speakers. A bit something like a Skype sound, but it's not Skype...

It may be something very simple that I don't understand, but please note that I switched from Windows only 3 days ago.

Best Regards,

Edlund

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:36 PM

12 replies

Mar 1, 2013 2:08 AM in response to edlund

I have had the same problem and believe the solution is really simple.

Open Skype, and in Preferences look at Notifications. Then uncheck the "Play sounds related to contact availability" - by default, Skype makes a subtle but annoying sound when contacts come online, for example. That explains why it happens at random intervals too.

Hope that helps someone 🙂

Aug 4, 2015 7:53 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I am having an issue with my macbook pro as well. It is a Late 2011 Macbook pro and as of this morning it has been making beeping sounds. I have muted my macbook but the noise is still continuing. I attempted to restart it as well and the noise hasn't stopped. It is just a beep every 30 seconds or so, any suggestions on what it might be?

My MacBook Pro makes random beeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.