Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reconnect masters that Aperture put in "Recovered folder"?

Hello everyone,

Aperture crashed a lot of times since I began to use it two years ago. I've run repair and rebuild commands several times. Now I'm with a folder called "Recovered folder", including about 1000 masters that are not connected to their appropriate versions. In other words, the versions (JPEG previews) sit in their original project displaying the "missing master" badge, while all the masters are in the "Recovered folder"... (I only work with managed images — no external referenced images.)

Is there an easy way to automatically reconnect masters to versions, thus keeping all the editing that was done on the versions? (I think each master-version pair has the same name... but I don't know if that could help.)

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.7.3), two external HDs 1.5TB and 500GB via FireWire 800

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:40 PM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2012 1:56 PM in response to D.F.

Is there an easy way to automatically reconnect masters to versions, thus keeping all the editing that was done on the versions? (I think each master-version pair has the same name... but I don't know if that could help.)

Reconnecting masters is easy, if the image versions are referenced, but if Aperture thinks the images are managed, then the usual "Locate Referenced File" does not work to reconnect them.

I found, however, that you can lift the adjustments from images, even if the image shows a missing master, so you might move the recovered images from the trash to there appropriate projects and lift and stamp the adjustments from the broken versions - but for 1000 versions that would be a lot of work. Hopefully not all of them have adjustments you need to save?

Mar 19, 2012 2:05 PM in response to léonie

I found, however, that you can lift the adjustments from images, even if the image shows a missing master, so you might move the recovered images from the trash to there appropriate projects and lift and stamp the adjustments from the broken versions - but for 1000 versions that would be a lot of work. Hopefully not all of them have adjustments you need to save?

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately most of the 1000 images have adjustments that I'd like to keep. I've considered lifting & stamping “manually” but this is definitely a lot of work. That's why I'm looking for an automated process.

Mar 20, 2012 10:17 PM in response to D.F.

D.F. wrote:

Now I'm with a folder called "Recovered folder", including about 1000 masters that are not connected to their appropriate versions. In other words, the versions (JPEG previews) sit in their original project displaying the "missing master" badge, while all the masters are in the "Recovered folder"... (I only work with managed images — no external referenced images.)

Hi. We're going to have clear some things up first. You don't see an Image of a Master in Aperture unless you activate "View→Show Master Image". The Master is a file. All Images in Aperture show Versions. (Images that have had no adjustments made or metadata added have, in effect, a "null" Version. When you first duplicate a Version, it is called, appropriately, "Version 2". Note that there are commands "New Version from Master" and "Duplicate Version", but no command "New Master".)

Folders don't hold Images (Folders hold containers).

Previews in Aperture are just big thumbnails that Aperture uses for some specific tasks. I don't think your Previews have anything to do with your problem.

It sounds as though you have a Project with Images no longer connected to their Masters, and a Project with Images that have no adjustments applied, and that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets of Images. Is that correct? {Paragraphed corrected.}

No promises this can be recovered, but knowing exactly what you have is the first step.

Also -- have you used Finder to access any of the files in your Aperture Library package?

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- corrected bad error, made small addition, fixed punctuation.

Mar 21, 2012 6:07 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

We're going to have clear some things up first. You don't see an Image of a Master in Aperture unless you activate "View→Show Master Image". The Master is a file. All Images in Aperture show Versions. (Images that have had no adjustments made or metadata added have, in effect, a "null" Version. When you first duplicate a Version, it is called, appropriately, "Version 2". Note that there are commands "New Version from Master" and "Duplicate Version", but no command "New Master".)

Folders don't hold Images (Folders hold containers).

Previews in Aperture are just big thumbnails that Aperture uses for some specific tasks. I don't think your Previews have anything to do with your problem.

I'm afraid you're perfectly right. Thanks for this terminology clarification (even if English is not my primary language).

It sounds as though you have a Project with Images no longer connected to their Masters, and a Project with Images that have no adjustments applied, and that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets of Images. Is that correct?

This is perfectly correct.

No promises this can be recovered, but knowing exactly what you have is the first step.

Also -- have you used Finder to access any of the files in your Aperture Library package?

Yes, I used it just out of curiosity, to view if there were actually master files in there... But I didn't change anything, and I did not open any images directly from the Aperture package.

Mar 22, 2012 12:41 PM in response to D.F.

Something just struck me: all the disconnected "masters" in the "Recovered folders" have accented characters (French accented characters, to be specific) in their names. It could be a UTF-8 bug or something. I've just sent feedback to the Aperture team.

By the way, I've read rumors that Apple could abandon Aperture. Are they true? If so, my bug report could be perfectly useless...

Mar 22, 2012 1:15 PM in response to D.F.

Is your Aperture library by any chance on an external drive? And is that drive not formatted MacOS Extended? Then accented characters can very problematic. If so, backup your library and reformat the drive.

I'd really recommend to avoid national characters in the filenames, you still can use them in the version names and IPTC tags.

How to reconnect masters that Aperture put in "Recovered folder"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.