7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 1:52 PM by movie lady
movie lady Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

i am using a macbok pro lion 10.7.3.   i tried to install a seaga te goflex portable to back up photos, i have thousands.  anyway, not sure if i got it installed or not.  i cannot find my photos to drag over to it.  i hafve lloked everywhere i see "IPHOTO LIBRARY" but nothing is behind that.  (you know how in finder you see the arrows pointing to the right to indicate there is something under that)  mine is blank. 

where are the photos?  how would i drag them to  a flash drive? 

please help, i am going crazy with lion.

thank you.  movie lady

imac, ibook, airport extreme, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • Niel Level 10 Level 10 (284,980 points)

Drag the iPhoto Library you've found as an unit. The drive, partition, or disk image you move them to needs to be formatted as Mac OS Extended. Alternatively, open the iPhoto application and manually drag the photos you want backed up to the drive; this won't preserve the metadata but doesn't require a specific drive format.

Opening the library is possible but shouldn't be done unless you've specifically been instructed to do something inside.

(64936)

• movie lady Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

i am not sure what you mean by  The drive, partition, or disk image you move them to needs to be formatted as Mac OS Extended.  i don't know how to do this.  can you explain further.

i tired dragging the whole iohoto library over but it would not attach to the hard drive.  maybe i am  not doing it right.  the hard drive is in my finder and then in finder, i go to "pictures", then iphoto library, and drag it ontop of the hard-drive but nothing happens. 

as best i can tell i have installed the hard drive correctly.  i am so frustarated with the HDdrive and with lion. 

thank you for your help.

sorry when i mentioned hard-drivve in earlier post i am referring to the seagate go-flex.

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (134,915 points)

What format is the drive? Select it in the FInder and go File -> Get Info:

Format Get Info.jpg

thank you terence for helping and for the explaination.

ok, here is a problem...  it reads  Windows NT Filesystem.

when i installed it gave me two options,  1. mac and windows where you could transfer between pc and mac or 2. mac.   i wanted to just select mac but it had a tag underneath that read it would erase all files from your hard-drive and that scared me.

do i need to try and uninstall this and try that option?

thank you again for helping me.

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (134,915 points)

The drive must be  Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to have an iPhoto Library on it. You can reformat it with Disk Utility.

Regards

TD

thank you terence.  it is now solved!