Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Controlling Dictation Spelling

I'm very impressed with the dictation capabilities of the iPhone 4S.

Unfortunately, some words—especially names—have multiple spellings. It's wonderful that dictation recognizes these words. But when dictation doesn't use the desired spelling then remedial editing is required.

For example, 'Alison', 'Allison', and 'Alyson' are all correct spellings for a name. Unfortunately, dictation uses 'Allison' but I need 'Alison'.

Is there any way to train/specify the spelling of words that dictation recognizes but spells differently than is needed?

- nello

iPhone 4S, iOS 5, 32 GB

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 6:16 PM

15 replies

Mar 19, 2012 6:23 PM in response to Nello Lucchesi

Generally no, but there may be a way to at least get your name correctly spelled. Open you contact, tap Edit (top right), scroll to the bottom and tap the plus sign next to "add field", tap Phonetic First Name, In this field type "Allison", tap Done (top right). Now go back and try dictating your name again and see if your name is spelled correctly this time.

Oct 13, 2012 12:21 PM in response to Steve Stinger

I'm having the exact same challenge. My son is Jareth, and I get Jared consistently. Also Carren and Care En and Jar ET and all sorts of whacko things that aren't anywhere near his name. I've typed in a nickname for him and also phoenetic spelling .... nothing works.

My husband says: "That's what we get for naming him something that is just 1 character in a movie 1 time years ago." (Honestly, we had never heard of the movie until after our son was born, though.)

Other things I've gotten:

Jerris Gerace Jerres

By the way, I just typed "Jared" in the Phoenetic name field; and these are the three choices it gave me for spelling. 😟

Message was edited by: Jareths Mommy

Jul 21, 2015 6:06 AM in response to Nello Lucchesi

I've been having a similar problem and came up with a clumsy but effective solution. I want to teach dictation the word "kombucha" (don't ask). I created a keyboard shortcut with a random word as the shortcut: "swanky". So now, when I want to dictate "kombucha", I say I shortened form of the word ( missing just the last letter) "swank", then I just go and type a "y" at the end, and dictation correct the word.

May 5, 2016 2:47 AM in response to Nello Lucchesi

I realize this is an old thread, but I don't see a valid solution in the replies, so I'll provide my workaround here. In my case, I wanted to dictate a word that wasn't in Siri's vocabulary (Capoeira -- the martial arts/dance activity). I kept getting weird word combinations whenever I dictated this word. So I created a contact with the name "Capoeira" (and no other information), opened Contacts and went to the contact, long-pressed the home button to activate Siri, and told Siri "Learn how to pronounce". Siri asked me how I pronounce "Capoeira". I then spoke the word, selected the option I preferred from the pronunciation options I was presented, and from that moment on, I can dictate "Capoeira" and it spells it exactly as I spelled it in the contact...

Controlling Dictation Spelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.