Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod mini won't sync. It says "duplicate file name"

My iPod mini won't sync to my Windows XP. It says "the iPod cannot be synced. A duplicate file name was specified." Help, please?

iPod Mini-OTHER, Windows XP

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:43 AM

Does this continue to happen even after you reboot your PC? Do you have any A/V virus/security programs running in the background? If so, try temporarily disabling them to see if that helps.

If nothing else, it might not hurt to try and rebuild your iTunes library.

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

B-rock

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2012 5:43 AM in response to iPodMiniMouse

Does this continue to happen even after you reboot your PC? Do you have any A/V virus/security programs running in the background? If so, try temporarily disabling them to see if that helps.

If nothing else, it might not hurt to try and rebuild your iTunes library.

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

B-rock

Mar 26, 2012 8:22 AM in response to planb77

so, it does happen after i reboot my pc. sometimes, it also just shows a symbol on the ipod screen, like a charging battery, but dead. my dad won't let me take down our security programs, because he's positive my ipod has a virus and it will kill our computer... this didn't happen, however, until i dropped my ipod in a parking lot about 2 weeks ago. that might be part of it, even though it's been through much worse falls. *oops* so, i'll try rebuilding my library, but we're leaving for a vacation this afternoon, so any other tips would be much welcomed! thanks so much for your time.

Mar 26, 2012 11:55 AM in response to planb77

well, i don't put pictures on my ipod because it doesn't support them. i tried rebuilding my itunes library and i must've done something weird (like i always do) because i erased all my music on accident and only got a quarter of it back. i restored my ipod to factory settings, and it synced just fine to the first two albums and then it said that the files could not be found on the other music, even one album that i just re-imported. and then a message popped up saying that my files could not be saved to drive f and to please save them somewhere else... and i "ejected" my ipod via itunes, but now it has the "do not disconnect" sign frozen in place.

thanks so much for your help! REALLY appreciated! 🙂

iPod mini won't sync. It says "duplicate file name"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.