Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod classic has totally gone blank. I've tried the wall connection, several different computer connections and reset. Nothing.. Do I need a new battery? I've only had the devise a little over a year. Please advise.

My iPod classic has totally gone blank. I've tried the wall connection, several different computer connections and reset. Nothing.. Do I need a new battery? I've only had the devise a little over a year. Please advise. If I need a new battery, do I just send the devise to Apple?

iPod classic

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:44 AM

When you connect it to the PC or Wall charger, is there any display on the iPod Screen?

If there is a battery charging icon on the display or a sad face icon, bring it in to Apple Store, if it is out of warranty, they may replace the battery for US$59.

But if there is totally no life on the iPod screen, even when you plug it in the PC, then it is another story, it is not the battery, but something else like water contact.

Have a nice day!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2012 1:44 AM in response to MsPrince

When you connect it to the PC or Wall charger, is there any display on the iPod Screen?

If there is a battery charging icon on the display or a sad face icon, bring it in to Apple Store, if it is out of warranty, they may replace the battery for US$59.

But if there is totally no life on the iPod screen, even when you plug it in the PC, then it is another story, it is not the battery, but something else like water contact.

Have a nice day!

Mar 20, 2012 5:46 PM in response to MsPrince

Please help me to help you,

I need to know if you connect the iPod to the PC, or wall charger, did the iPod screen shows any life, like

1. the Battery Charging icon
  2. Do Not Disconnect sign

If you don't get any of these display while connected to the PC it could be

1. The USB Cable is no good (but then you also used the wall charger)
  2. The iPod dock connector at the bottom, is fouled up with lint or dirt (try to clean it up)
  3. The iPod LCD display is dead
  4. The iPod is dead, maybe when it went for a swim.

But do bring it in to Apple store for the Genius to have a look, since it is slightly older than 1 year.

With the limited info from you,

I can only suggest you to do a Hard Reset

1. Charge your Ipod for at least 2 hours
  2. Toggle the Hold switch, make sure you dont see the Red mark when you do the next step
  3. Reset the iPod -> Press Menu and Center button simultaneously for about10 secs till the Apple Logo comes ON
  4. Then release the buttons
  5. Select your preferred language.

Here is the Apple support Article on the 5Rs

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/

Good Luck!

Aug 7, 2015 10:54 AM in response to timshemet

I changed iPod classic 160 GB 3 times during warranty. And again after warranty the screen has gone blank. This time the music part is working but cannot control the iPod as the screen is blank. The only way to conrol it is to imagine what the screen would display by having another classic next to it!

Never expected such a bad quality from Apple.

My iPod classic has totally gone blank. I've tried the wall connection, several different computer connections and reset. Nothing.. Do I need a new battery? I've only had the devise a little over a year. Please advise.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.