Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4s on Tmobile not getting 3G

I have an unlocked iphone 4s on tmobile's network. I have a micro sim card in the phone, from tmobile, and am only getting EDGE not 3G and i'm in a 3G area. I was told i could get 3S with an unlocked phone. Is there a way to do this so i'm on 3G and not EDGE?

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 9:46 AM

8 replies

Mar 20, 2012 10:17 AM in response to songbirdpa

Yes, it exists, but T-Mobile uses a non-standard frequency for their 3G network. If the phone was not specifically designed for T-Mobile in the US, it will not be able to use their 3G network. The iPhone does not support the frequency range that T-Mobile uses...

Think of it this way... if you have an FM only radio, you can not listen to AM stations. The iPhone is the FM radio. T-Mobile is the AM station.

Mar 20, 2012 10:20 AM in response to songbirdpa

songbirdpa wrote:

now, this is 3G for apple users on a tmobile network, right?

Not just for iPhone users...they need to upgrade their network anyway...but obviously this will attract more iPhone users. As I said, it's their only growth area. Heck, they have over a million iPhones on their network right now...even with the loss of features. That's one big reason they started selling micro sims, when at the time they sold no phones that supported micro sims.

iphone 4s on Tmobile not getting 3G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.