Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Replication/Duplication Questions

I didn't know where to post this so I figured since it had to do with video production I would post it under the FCP category. I am at the stage in my production of figuring out how to print my DVDs and I have a couple of questions, I am planning on sending in a master to a replication/duplication company to have 100 copies printed with cases.

Specifications:

- The film will be 30-40 minutes long

- It is shot fully Canon DSLRs

- Footage that is edited is in the format of 1280 x 720 prores 422

- Master wil be made in Adobe Encore

- 100 copies will be made

Questions:

1.) Is there any major difference between duplication and replication of DVD's? the information that I have gathered is that replication is for companies looking to produce thousands and thousands of DVD's where as duplication is for more short run projects that require a couple hundred copies. seeing that I am looking to produce 100 copies I figured this site would be a good way to go http://www.sfvideo.com/ it seems to have a good price and is one of the only sites ive found that lets you place an order under 300 copies.

2.) I have read a bit on printing a master copy of your film and have come to the conclusion that if you are going to replicate mass amounts of DVDs you have to burn to a digital linear tape but if you are doing short run projects you can just burn to a recordable DVD and send it in, is this correct? or do all masters need to be printed to a DLT? or does it just depend on which company you are going through and what they accept? I am going to use Adobe encore to print the DVD.

3.) What type of file should you bring your film into encore in? I am editing with 1280 x720 prores files.

Thanks,

Tyler

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 11:22 AM

First off, you do realize that DVD is an SD medium? If you want hidef, you'll need to make blue rays.

As to your questions: Replicated dvd's will play in any player. Sometimes burned discs will have trouble in some players. Don't know the place you've mentioned.

Whatever you give a replicator, they will make a glass master from which to replicate. A DLT is really only necessary if you plan on paying extra for a copy protection scheme.

I've never used encore so cannot help there.

Anyone else?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2012 11:22 AM in response to skier1260

First off, you do realize that DVD is an SD medium? If you want hidef, you'll need to make blue rays.

As to your questions: Replicated dvd's will play in any player. Sometimes burned discs will have trouble in some players. Don't know the place you've mentioned.

Whatever you give a replicator, they will make a glass master from which to replicate. A DLT is really only necessary if you plan on paying extra for a copy protection scheme.

I've never used encore so cannot help there.

Anyone else?

Mar 20, 2012 1:28 PM in response to skier1260

The replicators I have dealt with do not make a glass masters for runs under 500. For runs under 500 most duplicators are using an Everest, Bravo, or some kind of equivalent. They are still just duplicating your final deliverable with DVD-R media.

Some replicators will accept a DDP file on a drive. It used to be everyone prefered DLT but it actually takes longer for the replicator to create a glass master from a DLT vs. a DDP or DVD-R but DDP is definitely better than a -R for glass mastering.

You will definitely want to experiment and test the compression settings in Encore for down converting your 1280 PR file to 16x9 SD.

DVD Replication/Duplication Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.