Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match 101

Not sure where I should post this question so I just created one.

Turned the match on last night. Took a while to be uploaded and matched... not a big issue but I do see some playlists duplicated (about half of the lists). These are regular playlist, not smart ones. -- how do I deal with these duplicates? When I delete them, they simply come back.

Also, when the matching process is done, should I delete all the songs and playlist in my local hard drive and switch 100% back to Cloud library?

Lastly, I manage the songs by genres... so I changed some of the song infos intentionally to organize the songs... will this be maintained for ths matched songs in the cloud? or replaced by the orginal genre info?

Many rookie questions. Thanks for the advices in advance.

Y

MacBookPro17, Mac OS X (10.6.4), AppleTV (1G), iPad (64g+wifi).

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:29 PM

Wooky wrote:

Turned the match on last night. Took a while to be uploaded and matched... not a big issue but I do see some playlists duplicated (about half of the lists). These are regular playlist, not smart ones. -- how do I deal with these duplicates? When I delete them, they simply come back.

The duplicate playlist issue is a problem for my people. See this existing thread for possible solutions: Re: After turning on iCloud/iTunes match, my playlist was duplicated 2000 times By eltee, posted Mar 2, 2012

Wooky wrote:

Also, when the matching process is done, should I delete all the songs and playlist in my local hard drive and switch 100% back to Cloud library?

The question isn't "should I do this?" but "why do I want to do this?" Of course you can delete all the music on your HDD, but ask yourself why you want to do this and is this the best course of action to attain your goals.

Wooky wrote:

Lastly, I manage the songs by genres... so I changed some of the song infos intentionally to organize the songs... will this be maintained for ths matched songs in the cloud? or replaced by the orginal genre info?

Your metadata is mainted across your devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2012 1:29 PM in response to Wooky

Wooky wrote:

The duplicate playlist issue is a problem for my people. See this existing thread for possible solutions: Re: After turning on iCloud/iTunes match, my playlist was duplicated 2000 times By eltee, posted Mar 2, 2012

Wooky wrote:

The question isn't "should I do this?" but "why do I want to do this?" Of course you can delete all the music on your HDD, but ask yourself why you want to do this and is this the best course of action to attain your goals.

Wooky wrote:

Your metadata is mainted across your devices.

Mar 21, 2012 5:49 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Thanks for the suggestion. After I read the thread you recommended, I realized my duplicate problem wasn't so bad... I mean, not at all. I only had half of my playlist duplicated. After I spent 2 hours of cleaning up. I think I am running good with the match.

Another question related to the match... when I turn on the match on my iphone, I can see all my songs in the cloud with all my playlist... but when I turned off the match, it wipes out the playlist that I synced up physically from my itunes previously... is that normal? BTW, I leanred a lesson of using match on my iphone using cell data... it caused overage the very same day, almost right away... turned off the "using cell data" option (now I know why that option is there).

Thanks for the reply again.

iTunes Match 101

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.