Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Magic Mouse suddenly losing connection every few seconds.

Last night, my magic mouse started to lose the connection. (it's the wireless magic mouse). Battery is at 100%. Running Lion OS, updated with v1.0. on an iMac, late 2009. I don't see any updates for the Mouse, everything appears up to date. While posting this, it dropped 8 times. Any work around would be appreciated. Thanks.

iMac

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 11:11 AM

23 replies

Jul 19, 2017 8:13 AM in response to Cåts

It's not the OS! Because it's still happens today, 5 years later! The REAL answer to this is the batteries. In fluctuation from unsteady power creates malfunctions and resets. Energizers Lithium batteries are the only batteries which supply a steady flow of 1.5v voltage and current. This has to do with Lithiums Chemiatry nature.

Mar 20, 2012 4:39 PM in response to HACKINT0SH

If you mean that the batteries are loose inside the mouse, no, that is not it. (not sure if that is what you meant when you said "some batteries give enough PLAY'', so I just wanted to clarify that they are in there, nice and tight.

I don't know what other details I can give? Wireless Magic Mouse, never had a problem with it before, but beginning last night, doing regular computer stuff, the mouse will suddenly not move: I will get the "not connected" warning on the screen, then it will come on and then I will get "mouse is connected" on the screen. My Mouse is at 100% battery wise, but this issue is progressing throughout the day. Thanks!!

Mar 21, 2012 10:27 AM in response to X423424X

Thanks for responding.

No, there are no new electrical devices set up nearby, everything is set up as it always has been, that is why I'm kind of stumped at this sudden problem.

I did the smc and pram reset but like you mentioned, it had no effect. I can't imagine what the problem is but I appreciate your input.

Mar 28, 2012 5:23 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Barry, the mouse is a favorite 🙂
jmpsfs, well, I can try that but something odd happened. When my mouse kept losing it's connection, it had fairly new batteries in it. It showed that it was charged 100%. Then, a few days ago, it suddenly said it was at 7%! This is very strange. I believe that maybe my batteries were bad, but now I wonder why the drop down menu showed 100% charge and then only a few days later, 7 %. Since I changed the batteries again, it's fine. I am stumped as to why the drop down would show it at 100% and then 7 % so quickly. Thanks everyone for your input.

Apr 17, 2012 8:57 AM in response to Cåts

ok... so after suffering from the same symptoms with my magic mouse dropping out frequently (and i mean freaquently) my frustration level was at an all time high. Using a ~2010 macbook pro and never had an issue until recently. I tried EVERY suggestion I could find.... and I mean all of them to no avail. I am almost embarressed to say that the solution (been working flawlessly for 2 days now without a single dropout) very simple.... Even though I had batteries that were reported at 100%, i went ahead an replaced them with brand new ones. Cannot believe that was issue. I guess I am responding to this is to try that before going through all the other "fixes" i tried.... It may save you a lot of time and frustration....

good luck

Apr 17, 2012 3:44 PM in response to danielfromdarnestown

to yulfromsydney and danielfromdarnestown, Yes, those are the exact issues I had, the battery shows it's 100 per cent but then all of a sudden it starts disconnecting. I do the same thing now: when it begins to disconnect too many times, suddenly the battery shows it's at 7% yet the day before it was at 100%. So change the batteries. I never had this problem before, the battery meter and keyboard meter used to meter flawlessly and I have to wonder if this is an issue since the Lion upgrade.

Jun 21, 2012 6:24 AM in response to s4rt0

Are you using rechargeables or regular?

I'm using regular ones. It turned out that the problem wasn't the batteries, it was the OS. It seems that once the last update came out, 10.7.4 (have you updated your software?), the problem solved itself.

My battery status for both magic mouse and apple wireless keyboard (2 batteries), now shows the correct status.

It doesn't stay "stuck" on 100 or 99%, thusly, the reason I had the problem was b/c I was under the impression that I had a full battery when I did not.

Prior to the update, I downloaded the Mighty Monitor Widget

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/mightymonitor.html

which always gave me the accurate readings.

Try this: put new batteries in and see if your mouse starts to function correctly. If so, then you are also getting an inaccurate reading.

Or...download the widget and see how low your CURRENT batteries are 😉

Wireless Magic Mouse suddenly losing connection every few seconds.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.