Hello dear Apple community,
I'm here because I need your help. I'm a fervent iPod customer, had the iPod Mini, iPod Nano 1gen, iPod Touch 2gen, and then I decided to buy the iPod Classic 160gb, black version. I use Windows XP (I'm not that much into Vista or 7). I originally bought my iPod Classic in december 2010, it died due to a software error in december 2011, a few days before my warranty expired luckily. I went to an Apple store and I obtained a replacement brand new iPod Classic. I was so happy about this because I literally can't live without music (:p).
I bought a good protection for it to make sure nothing will happen anymore. But one month ago, thus only 3 months after I started using it, I had an error while syncing my music. It stated "Delayed Write Error: Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or [...]". If I remember well, I had set my iPod as "Enable disk use" in iTunes. All the data that it contained was completely erased and all the musics too.
Afterwards, anytime I plugged my iPod, iTunes froze. I've been waiting over 24h but it was still stuck.
The iPod is showing "Connected" and it appears in "My Computer" as "IPOD (G:)".
- I decided to reboot it by holding MENU+OK for 6 seconds -> It does restart, meanwhile iTunes unfreezes, Once restarted, iTunes freezes again.
- I decided to do it the hard way, restore through DFU mode (holding MENU+OK for 30 sec) -> iTunes unfreeze, detect the iPod as "needing to be restored", restores it (the loading bar on the iPod never reaches the end btw), the iPod reboots.
- First, iTunes freezes for 20 minutes
- Then it shows the "Delayed Write error once again !
The error as it was 20 minutes ago when I tried once more through DFU mode.
- And iTunes unfreezes but doesn't recognize the iPod anymore !
The iTunes diagnostic stating "No iPod, iPhone or iPad detected", while the iPod is still plugged in and showing "Connected".
- I removed iTunes, rebooted my computer, downloaded the latest iTunes version, plugged it in, same problem.
- I plugged it on a friend's computer that has Windows Vista, iTunes froze there too, I restored through DFU mode. Same problem exactly.
- I plugged it on a Mac computer, iTunes froze there too. Didn't try the DFU there though.
- I tried with another wire (I have two, an official one and a "Belkin" one).
- I tried the Apple troubleshooting assistant (that consists mainly of all the previous steps) and read the FAQ.
- I called the Apple customer service of my country but the guy was completely useless "iTunes freezing? REALLY? I never heard about something similar!".... (Me: "Really? -_- You must be new here...")
That last one was funny btw because all over the internet I've seen many many many people having similar problems with iTunes freezing or the Delayed write error, but few found a solution, and these few people that found the solution appears to have done completely different things, often by doing pretty dangerous stuff that could have killed the device if failed. I couldn't find any official solution though.
How is it possible, if it occurs as often as it seems like, that Apple hasn't published a patch or some official step-by-step to fix it?
Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion, something that I haven't tried yet or a solution (who knows?), I would be soooooo happy to hear it, you can't imagine how much.
I hope someone will answer this.