Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes show purchased 1080p movies as 'unknown album'?

I have purchased a couple of 1080p HD movies. When listing all movies in my iTunes library (the Movies 'playlist' under LIBRARY), as a detailed list with cover art, the 1080p movies are shown as 'Unknown Album'. This is also the case when listing purchased items (the purchased 'playlist' - not the the feature in the store where you can re-download purchased items).

Bug or feature?

Note that the movies play just fine and look amazing when viewed on my Sony HD TV over HDMI. Only the old color banding annoyance is there still, which I guess is an artifact resulting from the very high compression. After all, you can't expect a 1080p movie compressed to 10-20 percent of the size of a real Blu-ray movie to look perfect.

iMac 21.5" Late 2009-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 12:46 PM

5 replies

Mar 21, 2012 6:35 AM in response to abubasim66

Thanks; I understood that was where you were referring to, but I appreciate the confirmation. I don't see that on my HD movies, but I do see it on a couple of others from the iTunes Store which I didn't check yesterday. It doesn't appear when you look at the Info for the movie, and for me only appears for those movies that have Extras, so it's almost certainly a bug in the display when Extras are present. It's a pretty minor issue and appears to be harmless, but you can report it to Apple if you wish:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Regards.

Sep 26, 2012 2:39 AM in response to abubasim66

I know it has been awhile since this was posted but there is a solution. The "Unknown Album" issue exists for any movie with iTunes Extras (It has nothing to do with it being 1080). Under get info just copy the movie name and paste it into the album name slot for both the movie and the iTunes Extra. The "Unknown Album" will then be replaced with the movie title but you have to paste it into both the movie files and iTunes Extra ablum name slot. Otherwise it will split the files in your cover flow view. More info here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3087108?answerId=17691332022#17691332022

Why does iTunes show purchased 1080p movies as 'unknown album'?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.