Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what program will translate appleworks database files

Years ago I created a simple database in Clarisworks. The appleworks was able to concert this no problem. No I'm on system 7 and I need to access this DB. Is there a program that will convert this properly?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:57 PM

8 replies

Mar 20, 2012 3:03 PM in response to TheBobbyMedina

I'm afraid that nothing whatever will open an AppleWorks Database except AppleWorks. The only way to retrieve your data is to open the file in AppleWorks and export it as ASCII text: this can then be opened in a spreadsheet, or a database program such as Bento or FileMaker Pro. (This won't preserve your formatting, and calculation fields will bring over the result, not the caclulation.)

If you don't have access to a Mac with Snow Leopard or earlier you may be able to install Snow Leopard from the originall install disks, if your Mac came with Snow Leopard in the first place, on an external hard disk and boot from that. You would then need to install Appleworks to carry out the export.

Apr 14, 2012 6:49 PM in response to TheBobbyMedina

Hi, Bobby;

First: Do you still have the platform that you wrote the CW DB (ClarisWorks Database) on? Is it a Mac program?

Second: If the original database is still available on a current running Mac, you can export the data (tab-delimited) to a generic database file (see your list of available formats in your Save as… options from the original database.

Third: Review the fields and sequences of your original data and be sure you are ready to import the orginal data into the new database in the exact sequence as exported.

For more help, review all your old CW manuals for help in this laborious process.

Fourth: If you are able to print out the old database, that's a great head start to reviewing the data and the layout and sequences, and to perhaps re-doing it from scratch in a revised manner.

Just a few ideas;

George

what program will translate appleworks database files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.