Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java cup symbol next to my display on the top of my mac

Today I recently noticed a Java User uploaded file on the top of Mac which happened late afternoon, which I have never seen before, it has always on shown the following display, User uploaded file

I am confused how this has happened as I haven't installed anything, and I can't find any download done today that may have caused this to happen, can anyone please help with this

Many thanks

Paul

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 4:39 PM

9 replies

Mar 21, 2012 6:42 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn,

Many thanks for getting back to me, I have tried all of that as well, when I hovver over the symbol, and, click it, it comes up with 2 options

ℹ Java Console

ℹ Java Preferences

Java Console opens uo in a text format - stating a reasoning, that bears no relivance

Java Preferences opens up with nothing.

I am going to call Apple care as this is becoming really annoying, if it's running a script, you would expect to reboot and problem solved, but, alas this is not happening at all.

But thank you for all your assistance

cheers

Paul :-)

Mar 21, 2012 12:36 PM in response to pjjp_30

I wasn't suggesting dragging the icon to the trash. Command+drag out of the menu bar is the usually way to remove menu bar icons that are removable. So dragging to the trash would be "far enough". I guess this isn't one of those icons.

So if this is something that is being launched each time you log in please check the following:

1. Log into another account to see if it is in the menu bar in that account.

2. If it is not in the menu bar of the other account then post the following items.

• Your Account's login items

• The files in ~/Library/LaunchAgents (i.e., in your home directory)

3. If the icon did appear in your other test account post the files in the following directories:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/StartupItems

Java cup symbol next to my display on the top of my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.