Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open .eml attachments (attached RFC/822 email messages) in iPhone Mail - iOS 5.1

I cannot open attached emails (such as those in .eml format) in iOS mail, but I seem to recall this working in iOS 4. (Can't remember for sure.) Is anyone else having the same problem? For me they just show up as garbled pieces of headers, not even as attachments.

For more information see Can iOS open .eml files?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:12 PM

6 replies

Mar 22, 2012 4:25 PM in response to chcn

Am I really the only one out there who cannot open emails attached inside emails on the iPhone? I see 31 people have viewed this so far but no replies.

To make sure this wasn't a problem with my mail provider (an IMAP server on a proprietary Linux box), I also tried sending an email with an attached email to my me.com/iCloud account. Same problem there. The webmail interface on iCloud.com deals with the attachment just fine, but not the Mail app on the iPhone. It doesn't even display as an attachment on the iPhone.

Sep 24, 2012 9:29 AM in response to chcn

This appears to be fixed in iOS 6! Yay!

An attached email now shows up at the bottom of a message as a separate tappable object—a MIME attachment—as you would hope. It even works with multiple attachments and nested attachments (i.e., an attached email which itself includes an attached email). Fabulous!

Cannot open .eml attachments (attached RFC/822 email messages) in iPhone Mail - iOS 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.