Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes sync Capacity error

When I connect my iPad 2 to iTunes (wish it would sync over WiFi, but never will) the capacity slider looks correct. When I click anything is iTunes, for instance select another tab, all of the sudden the iPad capacity slider shows 8 GB over capacity. Since I haven't changed anything, this can't ne true. Then if I hit 'sync', I get the error again that the iPad is 8 GB over capacity. So basically, I can't sync at all unless I format the iPad and start over. Really great. Already did that once and am not doing it again. iTunes has been problematic during syncing for so long. I really hope you guys are investing more time to make this product less buggy.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 9:37 PM

10 replies

Aug 19, 2012 7:59 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

Yes. iTunes sometimes seems to have an issue where it can't predict the impact of the update properly. Remove a large file by hand like a movie or app with no saved data to lose, then make all the other changes you wanted to make, chances are there is room to put the file back.

tt2

Yes, the old trick. Thanks 🙂

Aug 20, 2012 7:20 AM in response to MaKeStudio

Since I started this post, I thought I should share my resolution:

My issue was an itunes playlist that somehow got changed on my computer to contain my entire media library. Since this playlist was also on my iPad, it wasn't possible to sync the device without going over the capacity. I combed through what I was syncing to figure it out and then remade the playlist and everything was peachy. I'm not sure how a playlist would all of the sudden contain my entire library, but it could have been a mistaken drag or keystoke.

iTunes sync Capacity error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.