Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple officially respond to the ATV Homesharing issue?

Or will it continue to ignore its customers as it has done for many months? So far numerous threads, pages and pages of requests for help from users, and increasing frustration for everyone.

What we would like to know is:

(a) Is Apple planning to respond to this officially in light of the fact it seems highly likely the cause of homesharing dropping is a software update issue

(b) If so, when

(c) Does anybody have a workaround that, well, works (for PC and Mac).

Over to you, Apple.

AppleTV 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 1:27 AM

10 replies

Mar 21, 2012 2:59 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Oh, clearly! Apple--or any other tech company--so rarely screw things up by accident when releasing software or OS updates. It's almost unthinkable. It must be my fault, and the fault of the scores, possibly hundreds, probably thousands of users whose systems were previously working perfectly with ATV, then, immediately after updating their systems, experienced problems so severe as to make their Apple products unusable.

Silly old us.

Mar 21, 2012 3:12 AM in response to philfromsakai

I didn't say they were non existent, I said or at least implied they were as a result of either your specific system setup or a corrupt install.

I've been participating in these communities for a number of years and can confirm that someone has problems somewhere, after EVERY update, the numbers having problems this time around are no more than usual.

You can take exception to what I am telling you and sit around waiting for a fix that in my opinion is unlikely to arrive and not be able to use your Apple TV properly, or you can set about resolving what it is that is causing your problem and begin enjoying your Apple TV, as I and many others are doing, without such problems.

The choice is yours, I'm only giving you the information to make that choice.

Mar 21, 2012 9:37 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I've benefited from your input several times in the past and hear what you say.

Though this time you don't add any value to the discussion and a help request.

You say that the problems people have are either 'specific system setups' or 'corrupt installs': I doubt it but I'm ready to learn as well.

Obviously your setup works perfectly and you 'enjoy' your Apple TV without problems. Great.

Could you be so kind and let us know your setup? That maybe be a good starting point to help others resolve 'their' problems.

Mar 21, 2012 9:49 AM in response to philfromsakai

@philfromsakai

Fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) Apple rarely respond directly to anything here as these are in the main user to user fora.

I know it must be galling that many people say 'well mine works fine' when you just want it to work.

Often, it is something specific about a user's network or setup, but not always.

There are far too many permutations of networking, computers, software/security software etc to give a one size fits all response.

You may have posted elsehwere, but I'm not quite clear what the issue specific to you is about Home Sharing.

It always helps to describe your specific issues, networking/computer setup in order to try to track down problems. I suspect we won't be able to give you a solution but without knowing more info it's hard to tell.

Do use the feedback link to alert Apple to your problems:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

AC

Mar 21, 2012 5:23 PM in response to Alley_Cat

@AC

Thanks for a much less high-handed response. Of course Apple won't respond, there is so little profit to be made caring for customers once they've bought a product. The fact I was told I needed to pay for support is why I am here in the first place. How much are they paying you regulars? Your love must run deep.

AC, I take your point about the diversity of different user setups etc, but remember everyone has one thing in common: their ATVs WERE working perfectly prior to the update. Other devices still work fine. Don't you think this points to software update??

Mar 21, 2012 6:44 PM in response to vazandrew

@vazandrew Thanks mate, yes I am aware this is a volantary community user-to-user type deal, with, of course, no payment -- I was being sarcastic, sorry. It seems strange Apple would be unaware of any of the conversations taking place on its own website from both a legal and marketing standpoint, even if it's beneath one of its staff to simply post something along the lines of 'We are aware of these issues, we can't find a problem at our end, so it must be your setup.'

I have been posting on an exisiting thread for months: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2808065?start=0&tstart=0 and watching the number of people with exactly the same problem as me, with, of course, different equipment, mount daily. There's over 11 pages of complaints now. It's the same story. ATV working fine -- update -- dropouts. Why it affects only some users and not everybody I don't know, perhaps there is some other common factor we are all not seeing.

The has been no 'definitive' fix: while some adjustments, like turning off wireless sync of iPhones etc has fixed one or two user's problems, it hasn't for the vast majority.

I've already bought an alternative media player, which works perfectly out of the box, but have the Apple TV hooked up to another TV in my house in the event of Apple releasing an update that fixes the homesharing problem.

I think any product that forces many users to log onto support boards and seek advice about navigating port settings etc is unacceptable. It should, ahem 'Just Work'.

Will Apple officially respond to the ATV Homesharing issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.