Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes v10.6 crashes on Windows XP

Hi,

Just updated to 10.6 through iTunes, as it told me a new version was available.

Now when I try to start iTunes I get the error message 'iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close'. When I submit the error report, I'm advised, kindly, by Microsoft that a solution has been found, and I'm taken back the Apple site where I can download iTunes v10.6..... :-) So i'm just going round in circles...

Now, searching the web some kind soul suggested deleting (or, as I did, renaming) 'Album Artwork', which gets recreated the next time you start iTunes. This worked a couple of times and I was able to open iTunes, but all of the artwork I downloaded myself, for albums I already owned and were not purchased via iTunes, were missing. And now iTunes has stopped working again - I can't do anything with it it at all, I simply get the error message as soon as the program starts. And in any case, it took me HOURS to add my own artwork to the hundreds of albums I have stored.

So it seems a problem with v10.6?

Does anyone else suffer this and, more importantly, does anyone have a solution? Can I uninstall and reinstall a previous version, without losing all my artwork and libraries?

Cheers,

Paul

iPod classic, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 4:03 AM

19 replies

Mar 21, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Grangey

Now when I try to start iTunes I get the error message 'iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

Generate another of those error messages and click the "Click here" link in the error message box. What modname and modver are showing for the error? (Precise spelling please.)

If the error is a BEX and thus doesn't show an modname or modver, let us know what P1 through P9 items are showing for you instead.

Mar 21, 2012 6:11 PM in response to Grangey

🙂 Many thanks, Paul.

Modname is corefoundation.dll and Modver is 1.630.16.0 offset 0004183c

Taken at face value, you're having trouble with an Apple Application Support program file there. (Apple Application Support is where single copies of program files used by multiple different Apple programs are kept.)

Let's try something relatively simple first. Restart the PC. Now head into your Uninstall a program control panel, select "Apple Application Support" and then click "Repair".

Does iTunes launch properly now?

If no joy after that, try the more rigorous uninstall/reinstall procedure from the following post:

Re: I recently updated to vista service pack 2 and I updated to itunes

Mar 21, 2012 6:19 PM in response to Grangey

I'm having a similiar problem. I got my new iPhone 4 a few days ago & have tried & tried for the past days to make iTunes 10.6 work & also Quick Time 7.7.1. They both install but when i click on the desk top icon a few seconds pass & an error appears for iTunes & Quick Time Player that says "iTunes or Quick Time has encountered a problem & needs to close. The Error Signature" is as follows for the iTunes: AppName: itunes.exc AppVer: 10.6.0.40 ModName: gdiplus.dll ModVer: 5.2.6002.22509 offset: 0002 edde. I have installed/uninstalled til I'm sick. I have done the Add/Remove & also removed all leftovers from my registry, still no iTunes. I am running XP Home, Service Pack 3. The only Quick Time that will install & work is version 7.1.6. I need iTunes desperately for my iPhone 4 !!!!!! Please Help !

Mar 21, 2012 6:20 PM in response to b noir

Opened up Control Panel/Apple Application Support/Change then Repair, which reported it was installed OK. Tried to start iTunes, still the same problem :-(

I'll try the other link tomorrow, being a day off (the joys of working weekend....) and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your ideas so far....

Paul

Mar 21, 2012 6:47 PM in response to b noir

I received my new iPhone 4 a few days ago & have tried & tried for the past few days to make iTunes 10.6 work & also Quick Time 7.7.1. They both install but when I click on the desk top icon a few seconds pass & an error appears for either iTunes or Quick Time that says "iTunes or Quick Time has encountered a problem and needs to close". The "Error Signature" is as follows for iTunes: AppName: itunes.exc. AppVer: 10.6.0.40 ModName: gdiplus.dll ModVer: 5.2.6002.22509 Offset: 0002edde. I have installed/uninstalled til I'm sick. I have done the control panel Add/Remove in suggested sequence & also removed any leftovers from iTunes & Quick Time in my registry; still no iTunes. The only version of Quick Time that will work for me is version 7.1.6. I am running XP Home, Service Pack 3. I need iTunes desperately for my new iPhone 4 !! Please Help !!

Mar 22, 2012 5:02 AM in response to b noir

Hello again...

It wouldn't repair so I tried the uninstall that you recommended via the link. Althought iTunes went through the installation, I now get the error message:

"Apple Application Support Was not found

Apple Application Support is required to run iTuneshelper. Please uninstall iTunes then install iTunes again

Error 2 (Windows Error 2)"

This seems to be going from bad to worse :-(

Mar 22, 2012 7:10 AM in response to Grangey

So I reinstalled the Apple Application Support using this method:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3131732

Now I get back to the same situation I was in at the beginning of this thread, with the corefoundation.dll causing an error on iTunes start up.....

Seems to me like there is a problem with the new version, a conflict with my system.

I have a copy of the previous version, which worked prior to iTunes advising me upgrade, but when I try to reinstall it, it tells me that a newer version is already installed (even after I deleted those folders above).

How can I go back to a previous working version, without losing my libraries and artwork, anyone?

Thanks,

Paul

Mar 22, 2012 1:38 PM in response to Grangey

Now I get back to the same situation I was in at the beginning of this thread, with the corefoundation.dll causing an error on iTunes start up.....

So not (apparently) a problem with the corefoundation module itself.

Can you check something for me please? (This isn't a cure in itself, but it might help us narrow in on possible culprits.)

Create a new user account on the PC with full administrative rights. Log out of your usual account and then log into the new account. (Don't use fast user switching to move between accounts.)

Try launching iTunes in the new account. Does it launch in there? Or do you get another error citing corefoundation.dll?

iTunes v10.6 crashes on Windows XP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.