Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is cellular data randomly greyed out on my ipad2?

Sometimes when I want to use 3G on my iPad 2, cellular data is greyed out. It only returns with a hard reboot. I have an up to date plan on at&t and am running iOS 5.1.

Not a major crisis, just wanted to see if anyone has the same problem or a solution.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), ipad2, iPhone4, MacPro

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 6:13 AM

10 replies

Mar 21, 2012 6:57 AM in response to Erik Nelson

I have a Verizon iPad 2 and have never experienced the problem you describe. I usually turn off Cellular Service in Steetings because I don't have cellular service in most of the places I am using my iPad. Save battery that way. I turn Cellular back on when I need it and it always seems to come right on.

If this problem continues I might suggest a visit to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. Hopefully you can replicate the occurrence there and get some help.

Apr 28, 2012 2:15 PM in response to Erik Nelson

Hi,

I have the iPad 3rd gen. And I find after I've had airplane mode on, then cellular data is greyed out.

If just turn wifi and cellular off manually, then they're fine. It's only airplane that screws it up for me.

I used to turn off then on again to sort it.

But more recently I've been more patient and found it does re-activate.

So I still use airplane in a pinch to save battery.

Jul 7, 2013 8:32 AM in response to Erik Nelson

The simple and quick solution by "dale from sf" worked for me. No reboot needed.

If you do not know how to "terminate" Settings, here is the gory detail. Many words to read, just a few seconds to do.

Press the "Settings" icon to open the Settings app. Observe that Airplane Mode is OFF and Cellular Data is (improperly) grayed out.

Press the Home button once to exit Settings.

Double-tap the Home button. (The contents of the screen will slide up an inch and look like it's behind smoked glass. The bottom row of the screen--which won't look like smoked glass--will display the icons of the last few apps you have run. The Settings icon, run most recently, will be the leftmost of those icons.)

Press and hold the Settings icon (at the left end of the bottom row) for about 2 seconds until a "minus badge" (red circle with white minus sign inside) appears near the top left corner of the Settings icon.

Tap the red "minus badge". (This will "terminate" the current run of the Settings app but leave the app installed on your iPad. Your settings won't change, but if you were in the middle of a process such as joining a wi-fi network or setting up a mail account, it may not complete and you may need to restart that process from the beginning.)

Press the "Settings" icon to open the Settings app. Confirm that Cellular Data is no longer grayed out. (If it is still grayed out, this method did not work folr you, Power off the iPad and power it back on.)

Why is cellular data randomly greyed out on my ipad2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.