1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 7:27 AM by James Ward4
lvmedic3214 Level 4 Level 4 (1,565 points)

I am in college and for many of my classes we have to participate in online discussions much like this forum. Whenever I try to access my discussion board from my iPad it says "Your browser does not support rich text editing HTML". Is there any way to post to the forum? There is also an option on the discussion board to upload a document. I thought about typing my discussion posts and replies in Pages and uploading them. But, I have not found a way to upload them from the iPad because it doesn't have the same file system as a computer. Is there a way of doing this or is this one of those unfortunate limitations of the iPad that doesn't quite translate into the "Post PC World".

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + 4G (VZ), iOS 5.1
  • 1. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.
    blitzteh Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

unfortunately there is no other way, you can buy browser apps like Puffin or Skyfire but they will be laggy or not work

• 2. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.

Thank you for the suggestions about the other browsers. I tried one browser that had a free version; it had the same problem and gave the same message.

• 3. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.
    Rysz Level 5 Level 5 (4,275 points)

Leave the editorializing out.

Try browsers such as iCabMobile, or Atomic Web Browser, from the App Store. There's a lot of browsers to choose from. They work differently from Safari. Some present themselves as desktop browsers. Others try to pre-process Flash data. Etc.

• 4. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.

Forgot to note... I use iCab to access this forum on an iPad.

• 5. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.
    Demo Level 9 Level 9 (76,360 points)

Have you looked at an alternative browser like iCab mobile? I use it and I love it. I do identify the browser as Desktop FireFox 4.0 for Mac but I can edit, and it has the HTML editor as well. The browser can be identified as IE 6, 7, 8 & 9 for Windows as well.

• 6. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.
    pjl123 Level 5 Level 5 (6,135 points)

A couple of this you can try. 

In the app store there are a couple of alternate browsers.  Try one of them. 

Also, try putting your comments into notes, then copy paste them into the website.  Would that work?

You also might just ask the it guys at your school.  You cannot be the only I pad person they have needed to deal with.

• 7. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.

Thank you for your reply. I am not editorializing. I was simply pointing out limitations of the device and or it's software. I love Apple products and find them to be superior to other things I have used. I have owned the previous 2 versions of the iPad and currently have the 3rd generation iPad. I use my iPad, iPhone and Macbook Pro daily. I would like to use my iPad for just such things as discussion boards. I have all of my textbooks on it through the Kno App and love it. I was just pointing out that as far as the post pc world, the iPad isn't quite there yet. I will take your advice and try the iCab Mobile app and see if it will allow me to do what I need to do.

• 8. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.

I have tried the copy paste idea but the box where the text goes doesn't even show up. I get the message that I posted in my original comment. Even on my Mac, the paste function doesn't work by right clicking and choosing paste. You have to use Command V to paste to the text box. I will try some other browsers to see if they will work.

• 9. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.

Didn't mean for you to take that comment so hard. Sorry.

It's just that this is a tech support forum, not a chat room for exchange of opinions. As you can see, the community is very helpful with purely technical issues. Everything else is "noise."

Good luck!

• 10. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.

Honestly, Rysz and I have both recommended iCab Mobile. It is $1.99 in the app store. Even if it does not work for you for this forum need, it absolutely blows Safari away as a web browser on the iPad. Check it out.

• 11. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.

Demo, I did download iCab mobile and identified it as Safari Mac and it worked. I have only been playing with the app for about 5 minutes and can tell that it is better than Safari. It has many options on it, many that I don't understand but I'm sure I will get the hang of it. Thank you all for your help with this.

• 12. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.

Great. It really is a wonderful browser that has tons of features. I don't know how to use them all either, but I am learning on the go and like I said and you have already seen, it really does leave Safari in the dust.

Good luck in school. Study hard!

• 13. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.
    James Ward4 Level 7 Level 7 (24,040 points)

iBrowse is another that seems better suited to posting, at least on this site. 

• 14. Re: Using iPad to post to online discussions.
    James Ward4 Level 7 Level 7 (24,040 points)

Demo wrote:

Honestly, Rysz and I have both recommended iCab Mobile. It is $1.99 in the app store. Even if it does not work for you for this forum need, it absolutely blows Safari away as a web browser on the iPad. Check it out.

TOok your advice and decided to give iCab a try. Very nice, and works well with this forum, particularly when set to Safari (Mac).

Thanks. 

1 2 Previous Next