Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Backlight LEDs are Failing

I noticed recently that the backlight LEDs along the bottom of my MacBook Pro Display are failing. It seems that every other light is out, so I get a scallop effect and the overall display is much dimmer than before.

Is this something that can be repaired, simply, at the Apple Store, or would it have to be sent away?

I'm in the middle of several projects so I can't let it go right now, but it seems to be getting worse day by day.

Also, it's a 2008 model, so the 3 year AppleCare warranty has expired.

Does anyone know if this is covered under a recall or other known product defect?

LEDs should last 20 years!

tom

-----

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 10:54 AM

15 replies

Mar 21, 2012 11:29 AM in response to tomahawk

I doubt the LEDs themselves have failed... but rather the controller for them (or wiring, etc). I am not aware of any recall related to this. This is actually the first I've heard of this. You'll need to bring your maching into Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provide (AASP) to check it out. Would it be possible for you to take a photo and post it here?

Mar 22, 2012 4:42 AM in response to tomahawk

Well... that's one I haven't seen before. It definitely looks like a controller issue that might require service. It looks like you have a pre-unibody MacBook Pro so I'd imagine any warranty you may have had would have expired by now. Plenty of people here have replaced their LCD panels. Very often, when re-assembling, they come up with problems due to loose connections, broken cables, etc. It's possible that someone here may have run into this issue and was able to determine what happened that caused it. Hopefully someone that has seen this before can chime in.

EDIT: I did just come across this:

http://www.mobilemag.com/2008/04/01/penryn-macbook-pro-has-led-backlight-problem s/

This seems to be similar, but not as drastic:

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/56919/LED+backlight+has+a+dark+pattern+on+bot tom+edge+of+the+screen

Mar 22, 2012 12:45 PM in response to JoeyR

Thanks! I will look at those.

It was difficult to notice except for in the dock icons, until I changed my desktop background to white. I normally use black.

I took it to the Apple Store yesterday and the Genius said since it's out of warranty, I can have them service it through the depot for a flat rate of $310. They will run diagnostics on all components and replace anything that shows signs of failing, including the display and probably the video card, since I have the nVidia GeForce 8600M GT that has known issues... Total turn-around time = 4 days.

There is also a local AASP that might be able to get me the part so I could replace it myself without sending the unit away, but the display goes for over $400...

Oct 14, 2012 10:55 AM in response to tomahawk

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my MacBook Pro 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 on Mac OS X 10.8.2

I've been looking like crazy for a good example of what was happening, because I wanted to have a good explanation to give to the applecare-guys. Very relieved to finally find this post!

Tried to rest the PRAM a couple of times already. Didn't help. Usually the problem just fades away after a while, but it's still very annoying especially because I get worried that my macbook will just freak at some point and die.

Anyway, I'm going to call applecare tomorrow (it's Sunday today) and hopefully they will fix/replace my MacBook since it's still in warranty. I'll keep you guys posted!

Greets!

Apr 22, 2013 12:02 PM in response to tomahawk

I have this same problem with my late 2008 MBP, but the fix Tomahawk linked to does work for me, atleast right now. If anyone else is experiencing this issue at least try this quick fix:

-Press control+shift+eject to put the display to sleep

-Then any key to wake the display

On my system, the issue is resolved after the display reset.

Sep 1, 2013 5:47 PM in response to carl wolf

I went to the Apple Store last summer and did the $310. refurb.

They replaced the display, the logic board and video card among other things.

It was great. Then a few days later the 4GB RAM blew up. They replaced that for free

under the same ticket.

I then went to iFixit.com and ordered a 750 GB hard drive to

replace the old 200 GB drive which I backed up and the installed

the new one myself.

It's totally like new except for the keyboard. I will replace that soon.

Very happy with Apple and iFixit on this one.

~$500. total and it should go another 5 years.

MacBook Pro Backlight LEDs are Failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.