Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AEBS does not have valid IP address

We have an Airport Extreme Base Station connected to our cable modem and our eMac (OS 10.4 something). I recently got an Airport Express which we've been using though now it's shut off because of all the issues we've been having. There's 2 Windows notebooks currently using the wireless, but today when I merely started up the eMac the light went amber and the internet access went down. The Airport Utility said the AEBS "does not have a valid IP address."

I got the Airport Extreme in September 2011 to play music on our stereo and it was generally working for a while, but in the past month or so it started crashing about once a day and I'd have to shut everything down and start up again, and eventually even that didn't work. So I started over with a new network name and after many tries got the Airport Express to reset the way it's supposed to and work with the new network. Then the USB hard disk I have connected to the AEBS started bringing the network down whenever I tried to open a file with my PC, so I stopped using it.

Now with only the AEBS running we're using our Windows PCs wirelessly but I can't turn on the eMac until I solve this problem. Wouldn't mind if I could play music use the shared disk again at some point too. Have had the AEBS for several years & can't tell you how many hours of my life it's sucked away with its crappy problems.

eMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1 GB DDR SDRAM; FCP 5.0.4; QT 7.4.1 (14)

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 11:14 AM

12 replies

Mar 21, 2012 8:52 PM in response to kwaderer

Thanks for clarifying your AirPort models for me. At this point, I would suggest getting the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn) working and, if we are successful, work in the 802.11n AirPort Express Base Station (AXn) to meet your networking requirements.

I know you have already done a number of reset, but I would recommend the following to see if we can get the AEBSn running in a stable condition.

• Power-down the modem, AEBSn, and computer(s).
  • Disconnect the AEBSn from the Internet broadband modem.
  • While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref: Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  • After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  • Reconnect the AEBSn to the Internet broadband modem. Be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  • Power-up the modem; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  • Power-up the AEBSn; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  • Power-up your computer(s).

In this basic configuration, the AEBSn will broadcast an unsecured wireless network on the 2.4 GHz band with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the AEBSn for wireless security and any other desired options. Please post back your results.

Mar 22, 2012 8:07 PM in response to Tesserax

Done, it's working fine. iTunes is streaming through the stereo. I decided to extend the network this time, which I haven't done before, to strengthen the reception in that part of the apartment.

What's next? the USB disk? I wondered if the fact I was changing the network name & settings without changing the name of the disk was an issue. But let me know if you have ideas what's been causing the problems.

Mar 24, 2012 12:32 PM in response to Tesserax

I connected the disk & entered the password, and had the same issue. I could see the top level of the file folders in Windows Explorer but when I double clicked a file I'd get the hourglass, and the network crashed though the lights on the AEBs and AEX stayed green.

Then I tried changing the name of the disk, interestingly the eMac couldn't see the disk when I plugged it in directly with USB but the PC did. Once I changed the name of the disk I connected to the USB hub connected to the AEBs, logged into it with the password again on my eMac and soon I could open files on both my PC and eMac.

Incidentally I also have a Samsung printer and that has been able to print from both our PCs wirelessly though I haven't been able to print from the Macs for a long time. Pretty annoying since it's connected to both of them through the AEBs by USB and ethernet cable. But that may be a driver issue (which I spent a long time trying to fix), and at the moment I can't find the printer disk. After all the wrestling I've done with these Apple devices I've come to suspect it would be just too much to ask the AEBs to do everything it's supposed to. I'll post another thread about that if/when I find the time to tackle that again.

So far so good! Of course given the history of this setup I won't be confident the main problems have been resolved for a couple of days at least...thanks for all your help Tesserax! I'll post back to confirm it's working or report any issues.

AEBS does not have valid IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.