Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions issues when copying folders from desktop to server

I am administering folders via AFP/SMB on a server. Some of the users will copy the child folders to their desktop and then back to the server at the end of the day. We constantly run into problems with the POSIX permissions being changed to read only for the group and others. There is an ACL on the parent folder that grants read and write but doesn't seem to be effective. Server and clients are 10.6.8. Files within the folders are mostly .xlsx. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 11:44 AM

3 replies

Mar 23, 2012 8:33 AM in response to Malloryfromwa

When a folder is copied from one place to another whether it's from a server to a client or from a client to different location on a client, the ownership of the folder changes to that of the user that did the copy. Moreover, the permissions on the folder change to the preset umask. (usually 755 for folders.. Owner - rwx, group r-x, everyone else r-x.

While this is not what you want it is behaving properly.

What you need to do is to have your users get info on their folder after they've copied it and set the "everyone" permission to read and write. Or better yet show them how to add users or groups to the acl of their folder.

It seems like a hassle, but imagine the security implications if users folders were by default, read and write access by everyone.

Alternatively You can defeat this problem by having users NOT copy the folder back to the server. Just the excel file. When they're done editing it, have them save it with something different as a name that represents a revised file. Then copy it back to the server by itself.

You'll end up with a folder full of excel files, but it's not so bad considering the version history record!

Hope that helps!

-Graham

Mar 23, 2012 9:17 AM in response to gracoat

Thanks Graham for your thoughts. Unfortunately the users can't just drop only the excel file back- there are too many excel files in the folder and subfolder that it creates too much possibility for error. Since there are also many subfolders I'm not sure how well the "apply to enclosed items" will propagate those permissions. These users also aren't admins on their machines so if they need an admin password to do that it won't work.

Is there anyway to change what the default permissions on new folders are?

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2012 9:32 AM in response to Malloryfromwa

What I meant was to have them get info on the folder that they've copied (the one with their excel file in it) and change the everyone permissions on that. They shouldn't be allowed to propegate permissions from the parent folder. Doing so would change the permissions of folders that don't belong to your users.

The last thing you might consider is to set up the OS X wiki service. I know it might sound counter intuitive, but it's very useful for uploading files to a location that allows your users to easily find, upload, and download files.

For instance, being a teacher myself, I have an IT11 wiki set up on my server where my students, after they've finished their work, they upload their file to the wiki. I then either view it, or download it to my computer, and give it a mark in the comments area of the wiki.

Just a thought... but it would solve your organization and permission problem.

-Graham

Permissions issues when copying folders from desktop to server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.