Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to get my original photos out of aperture and can't seem to find a way to do it, I can't locate an original folder, I understand that images I have edited won't be exported I just want to have a copy of my files out of the system

I want to have my photo files all in one place. I want them out of the Apeture libary structure.

Thank you

Joe

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 2:19 PM

3 replies

Mar 21, 2012 2:29 PM in response to Joe Cosentino

Hello Joe,

do you want to continue using Aperture or do you want to manage your images yourself?

If you want to continue using Aperture, but to be able to browse your images without launching Aperture, then relocate your master image files:

• Select all images in the Browser
  • Use the File menu: File -> Relocate master and select a folder, where you want to store the master image files.

Be warned, that you must not edit, change, tag these files in any way, unless using Aperture itself to do the modification. Otherwise the link between master image files and version in Aperture may be broken.

Make sure you have a working backup of your Aperture Library before you do that.

But why do you want access to your images outside Aperture? Aperture as a digital asset management system is supposed to be able to manage you images in versatile a way, to give you access to all information you need. So what are you missing?

Regards

Léonie

Mar 21, 2012 4:26 PM in response to léonie

What I am missing is the reliabily I thought iPad. On Sunday Apeture said it ouldnt ind my library I went brought he 3 rebuildings and ot hm bak. Even with a time Maine backup I was worried. There at wy to many to loose. 425 GB Worth. I saw were others in fourms sid ney could not restore ther phoos and lost them. So I want my photos soi can put them as Raw's and jpegs on an external drive. I am also thing of starting touse light room along with photoshop.

Thanks for your answer.

Mar 21, 2012 10:38 PM in response to Joe Cosentino

O.K. I see. Don't forget that this forum only shows the few problematic situations, not the many, many cases where Aperture is working reliably. Missing masters and lost images may sometimes be caused by user errors, hard disk crashes, or network problems, if people risked to put their Aperture library onto a network volume or a hard drive with a wrong format (which is not recommended and supported by Apple).

To protect yourself against this kind of problems, you really should have a routine of regular backups.

To create a backup of your master image files you can export them to an external volumet:

File -> Export -Masters

Here is a recent discussion to get started with backing up your Aperture Library, see Kirby Krieger's and Sierra dragon's posts:

Re: Best setup for external drives and backup

Regards

Léonie

I want to get my original photos out of aperture and can't seem to find a way to do it, I can't locate an original folder, I understand that images I have edited won't be exported I just want to have a copy of my files out of the system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.