Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Light Table vs. Album - How do you use them?

I have been using Aperture for some years now, but I never have come across a problem where I thought "Wow, a light table - that is the solution!"

Usually all my projects start with collecting the images in an album - or a smart album / filter /flags - and then creating books, slideshows, webpages, or screensavers from them. Occasionally I started with a light table - just for the novelty of it - but usually ended up with a cluttered mess of images spread out before me and no clear plan how to proceed from there. So I am curious - what are typical workflows that require light tables instead of albums, and what is the advantage of using a light table instead of a more ordered Aperture item?

Thanks for any input!

Léonie

Aperture 3, Version 3.2.3

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 2:01 PM

On my school (for photography) we have to use lighttables for organizing photos from

documentary, reportage and journalism. We learn to layout the photo's so that you keep fascinated or focussed on the subject. For example, vary in portrait or landscape orientation, vary in composistion, color et cetera.

When you view multiple photo's in a row that looks the same it can be boring.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2012 2:01 PM in response to léonie

On my school (for photography) we have to use lighttables for organizing photos from

documentary, reportage and journalism. We learn to layout the photo's so that you keep fascinated or focussed on the subject. For example, vary in portrait or landscape orientation, vary in composistion, color et cetera.

When you view multiple photo's in a row that looks the same it can be boring.

Mar 21, 2012 10:13 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

User uploaded file

The thumbnails my light table do look quite blurry, and when I enlarge one of them it is even worse. The images look much better when I view the same selection, and zoom in, in the Browser in Grid View. But even if the Light Table were working properly, what is the advantage of this overlapping mess compared to the ordered grid in the Browser?

Mar 21, 2012 11:55 PM in response to léonie

I think it's a valiant attempt to give digital photos some conceptual texture and let users manipulate their position relative to each other the way we used to do with analog prints. I used to love throwing prints out on a light table and shuffle them around, to see how they influence each other in different positions. Great idea, but like many things it got the ol' Apple neglect. I bet a few thousand feedback tickets would get them to fix the blurriness.

Mar 22, 2012 7:11 AM in response to robogobo

+1.

I use Lighttables for two things:

- to line up Images that I will stitch with an external editor (for various reasons these are not always in order).

- to judge color balance, color interactions, and cropping/shape for images that will be sold and displayed as a set.

I don't do that a lot, but when I do, it is very useful, and there is no other tool in Aperture that let's me do those things.

The bug that degrades the displayed resolution should have been removed long ago. Léonie's Bug Annunciator should be sent directly to the Apple Aperture team 🙂 .

Mar 22, 2012 7:24 AM in response to léonie

You know what I just realized? Here I am reminiscing about the old days, "throwing prints out on a light table". What's wrong with that statement? haha! Transparencies went on a light table, that's what. Prints went on the proofing tabe. This is how long ago it was, that memories amalgamize and the traditional tools and phrases are applied to digital lingo (and lost).

Just a little side note...

Mar 22, 2012 7:28 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

what is the advantage of this overlapping mess compared to the ordered grid in the Browser?

Order, spacing, arrangement, inclusion/exclusion (for starters 😉 ).

Example:

Screenshot 1:

User uploaded file

Screenshot2:

User uploaded file

(Added:)

Light Table brightness is the same as the Viewer, set at "Aperture→Preferences→Appearance".

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Mar 22, 2012 7:35 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

I agree.

On my academy for photography we have real lighttables to organize the photos on several criteria. I really need lighttables so sort as Kirby descripted. I sort on orientation, color, composition et cetera. After that I create a story that keeps interesting to look at by varying the photos by the different sort criteria.

Lighttables is a must have for good organization before you send your photos to the printer.

Mar 22, 2012 7:39 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

I use Lighttables for two things:

- to line up Images that I will stitch with an external editor (for various reasons these are not always in order).

- to judge color balance, color interactions, and cropping/shape for images that will be sold and displayed as a set.

Thank you Kirby, very good points, and beautifully illustrated 🙂

OOT: The last time I used my real world light table to sort slides it became so hot it burned a hole into the table cloth ...

Light Table vs. Album - How do you use them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.