Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buy a Power Cord for my Mac Mini to use it in the European Countries?

Where can I buy a Power Cord for my Mac Mini 2011 to use it in the European Countries & for International Voltage 100-240V? What would the price be? Can I buy from Apple Online Store? I really need help on this issue.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 2:28 PM

8 replies

Mar 22, 2012 2:53 AM in response to mr_apple18

On the Mac Mini isn't it just an opening for a standard C7 connector? See here or here for instance for the various shape and sizes of the IEC 60320 standard.

Depending then on which European country you're interested in you get a cable with a C7 connector and the other end tailed with the most convenient connector. C7 is a rather common connector, and it's fairly easy to find them in the various countries at hardware and electronic stores. But they're usually black. If you want a white one, then you'll probaby have to talk to Apple.

Alternatively, the are simple adapters that will take for instance a US plug to UK. You can find those easily in stores catering to travelers. You can always bring a set of those. Then if you prefer to have a straight cord with no adapter, you have time to find one.

Jan 25, 2014 7:06 AM in response to mooblie

I have the same concern as the original poster. I'd like to use my Mac Mini, bought in the US, in Germany.

The Mac Mini is marked as accepting voltages up to 240V. I would happily use a plug adapter with the original US cord, but I hesitate because the electrical cord is labeled as being rated for 120V. I'm not sure if this rating refers simply to the US-style plug, or whether it has implications for the wire gauge of the cable.

Am I right in thinking that the Mac Mini will draw the same amount of current whether it is connected to 120V or 220V (the German standard)? Or does applying a higher voltage mean that the cable will have to carry a greater current?

A cable that is designed to carry more current would have a thicker wire gauge spec in order to avoid overheating from the resistance in the wire. The required gauge in a given case is also related to the length of the cable.

I'm pretty sure that I can use the US cable with a plug adapter without any worries because the computer will draw the same amount of current regardless of voltage. The power supply inside the Mini regulates this. I think. But I'm not 100% sure. If anyone has any thoughts about this, I'd be grateful to hear.

Buy a Power Cord for my Mac Mini to use it in the European Countries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.